+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by james_bennett View Post
    I opened the package thinking it was something I ordered, since I ordered a couple things from Amazon a few days ago.
    There's no harm in giving this a few days to see if all of your orders get delivered by the expected date.

    If something doesn't show up, your order might have been mistakenly swapped with somebody else's and you'll have a better idea of what to talk to Amazon about.


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2
    is it over? just curious to know what's really happened to know what to do just in case


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,218
    What to do is clear. You tell Amazon you received something that doesn't appear to be your order. If you're missing something you did order, you also report that.
    Then you let Amazon take the lead.

    If the item is inexpensive, I can bet they'll tell you that you can keep it or donate it to charity if you want. That's what they told me when I got an errant delivery of a couple of spark plugs.
    If the item is larger, they'll arrange for UPS to retrieve it from you. That has happened as well.

    As for the law, if it was truly unordered merchandise, you can keep it. This is arguably not the case (especially if you are a regular Amazon customer). Regardless of the law, the ethical thing to do is allow Amazon to a chance make it right one way or another.


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,281
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    As for the law, if it was truly unordered merchandise, you can keep it.
    Why? This was not something received in the mail.


  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Why? This was not something received in the mail.
    Here is a link to the law: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

    The merchandise received by James was not so much "unordered" as it was "not what was ordered." A slight difference but a difference.

    Either way, though, James should not be responsible for any costs involved in returning the package nor should James have to pay for the merchandise received in error if the sender does not arrange for its return.


  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,281
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Here is a link to the law: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

    The merchandise received by James was not so much "unordered" as it was "not what was ordered." A slight difference but a difference.

    Either way, though, James should not be responsible for any costs involved in returning the package nor should James have to pay for the merchandise received in error if the sender does not arrange for its return.
    From your link: " Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment" (emphasis added.) This item was not "mailed".


  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    10,045

    Another Point - Fraud

    I received merchandise I DID NOT ORDER from Amazon once in connection to a credit card fraud scam.

    My card was used to order overpriced items from Amazon, and the people committing the fraud owned the amazon store. They got what they wanted, money, no fencing involved. I got the hassle.


  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    From your link: " Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment" (emphasis added.) This item was not "mailed".
    It also applies to unordered delivered goods.

    See the Uniform Commercial Code, section 2-601 et seq, on buyers' rights on improper deliveries. The recipient of unordered merchandise should notify the sender that the merchandise is not what was ordered and then hold the merchandise for a "reasonable amount of time" (sufficient for the sender to retrieve merchandise) but the recipient has no further obligation beyond that. The recipient of unordered goods is not responsible for costs involved in returning the item or, if the sender does not arrange for return, the recipient is not responsible for the cost of the merchandise if kept.


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,281
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    It also applies to unordered delivered goods.

    See the Uniform Commercial Code, section 2-601 et seq, on buyers' rights on improper deliveries. The recipient of unordered merchandise should notify the sender that the merchandise is not what was ordered and then hold the merchandise for a "reasonable amount of time" (sufficient for the sender to retrieve merchandise) but the recipient has no further obligation beyond that. The recipient of unordered goods is not responsible for costs involved in returning the item or, if the sender does not arrange for return, the recipient is not responsible for the cost of the merchandise if kept.
    As stated above, the receiver can't just run off with the item, laughing at the bonanza. S/he has is expected to notify the sender and wait a reasonable amount of time before running off with the item, laughing at the bonanza.


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    As stated above, the receiver can't just run off with the item, laughing at the bonanza. S/he has is expected to notify the sender and wait a reasonable amount of time before running off with the item, laughing at the bonanza.
    No real argument there, if goods were ordered and what was received was not what was ordered. The recipient has a responsibility to contact the sender.

    If there was no order placed by the recipient, on the other hand, and merchandise is sent or delivered without the knowledge or consent of the recipient, the recipient has no obligation to contact the sender - although it is best for the recipient to do so, so no billing for the unordered, unwanted merchandise is generated.

    My grandfather had a major hassle with a (fake) charity that kept sending him light bulbs and sending him bills. It took a call to the Attorney General's Office to put a stop to the nonsense (and put an end to the charity).


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. UPS package signed by Hotel- never received
    By eshell in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Received A Package That Wasn't For Me
    By MrTelephone in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM
  3. how long til next package received?
    By AlexG6 in forum Immigration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
  4. Received package I didn't order
    By dlancep in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2001, 09:13 PM
  5. recieved package I didn't order
    By Maxamillion in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2000, 01:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.