• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a package that I didn't order in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

I opened the package thinking it was something I ordered, since I ordered a couple things from Amazon a few days ago.
There's no harm in giving this a few days to see if all of your orders get delivered by the expected date.

If something doesn't show up, your order might have been mistakenly swapped with somebody else's and you'll have a better idea of what to talk to Amazon about.

FlyingRon

What to do is clear. You tell Amazon you received something that doesn't appear to be your order. If you're missing something you did order, you also report that.
Then you let Amazon take the lead.

If the item is inexpensive, I can bet they'll tell you that you can keep it or donate it to charity if you want. That's what they told me when I got an errant delivery of a couple of spark plugs.
If the item is larger, they'll arrange for UPS to retrieve it from you. That has happened as well.

As for the law, if it was truly unordered merchandise, you can keep it. This is arguably not the case (especially if you are a regular Amazon customer). Regardless of the law, the ethical thing to do is allow Amazon to a chance make it right one way or another.

quincy

Why? This was not something received in the mail.
Here is a link to the law: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

The merchandise received by James was not so much "unordered" as it was "not what was ordered." A slight difference but a difference.

Either way, though, James should not be responsible for any costs involved in returning the package nor should James have to pay for the merchandise received in error if the sender does not arrange for its return.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here is a link to the law: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

The merchandise received by James was not so much "unordered" as it was "not what was ordered." A slight difference but a difference.

Either way, though, James should not be responsible for any costs involved in returning the package nor should James have to pay for the merchandise received in error if the sender does not arrange for its return.
From your link: " Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment" (emphasis added.) This item was not "mailed".

xylene

Another Point - Fraud

I received merchandise I DID NOT ORDER from Amazon once in connection to a credit card fraud scam.

My card was used to order overpriced items from Amazon, and the people committing the fraud owned the amazon store. They got what they wanted, money, no fencing involved. I got the hassle.

quincy

From your link: " Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment" (emphasis added.) This item was not "mailed".
It also applies to unordered delivered goods.

See the Uniform Commercial Code, section 2-601 et seq, on buyers' rights on improper deliveries. The recipient of unordered merchandise should notify the sender that the merchandise is not what was ordered and then hold the merchandise for a "reasonable amount of time" (sufficient for the sender to retrieve merchandise) but the recipient has no further obligation beyond that. The recipient of unordered goods is not responsible for costs involved in returning the item or, if the sender does not arrange for return, the recipient is not responsible for the cost of the merchandise if kept.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It also applies to unordered delivered goods.

See the Uniform Commercial Code, section 2-601 et seq, on buyers' rights on improper deliveries. The recipient of unordered merchandise should notify the sender that the merchandise is not what was ordered and then hold the merchandise for a "reasonable amount of time" (sufficient for the sender to retrieve merchandise) but the recipient has no further obligation beyond that. The recipient of unordered goods is not responsible for costs involved in returning the item or, if the sender does not arrange for return, the recipient is not responsible for the cost of the merchandise if kept.
As stated above, the receiver can't just run off with the item, laughing at the bonanza. S/he has is expected to notify the sender and wait a reasonable amount of time before running off with the item, laughing at the bonanza.

quincy

As stated above, the receiver can't just run off with the item, laughing at the bonanza. S/he has is expected to notify the sender and wait a reasonable amount of time before running off with the item, laughing at the bonanza.
No real argument there, if goods were ordered and what was received was not what was ordered. The recipient has a responsibility to contact the sender.

If there was no order placed by the recipient, on the other hand, and merchandise is sent or delivered without the knowledge or consent of the recipient, the recipient has no obligation to contact the sender - although it is best for the recipient to do so, so no billing for the unordered, unwanted merchandise is generated.

My grandfather had a major hassle with a (fake) charity that kept sending him light bulbs and sending him bills. It took a call to the Attorney General's Office to put a stop to the nonsense (and put an end to the charity).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">