• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a package that I didn't order in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

james_bennett

I received a package from UPS that I didn’t order with my correct name and address on it. I wasn’t able to answer the door when the package was delivered. The package came from Amazon. Can I legally keep it without getting in trouble, or do I actually have to return it or pay in full for the merchandise? I opened the package thinking it was something I ordered, since I ordered a couple things from Amazon a few days ago. It might be a gift, but I'm not sure. I just don't want to get in trouble. I live in Vermont.

quincy

I received a package from UPS that I didn’t order with my correct name and address on it. I wasn’t able to answer the door when the package was delivered. The package came from Amazon. Can I legally keep it without getting in trouble, or do I actually have to return it or pay in full for the merchandise? I opened the package thinking it was something I ordered, since I ordered a couple things from Amazon a few days ago. It might be a gift, but I'm not sure. I just don't want to get in trouble. I live in Vermont.
If the package was addressed to you, and you did not order it, it is probably a gift. There was no return address or card enclosed?

james_bennett

I couldn't find a return address or card

Just checked in the box. I don't want to remove the merchandise from the box, as the merchandise itself is pretty heavy and cumbersome, but as far as I can tell, I couldn't find a return address or anything. By card, you mean like a Thanksgiving card? In that case, no.

quincy

Just checked in the box. I don't want to remove the merchandise from the box, as the merchandise itself is pretty heavy and cumbersome, but as far as I can tell, I couldn't find a return address or anything. By card, you mean like a Thanksgiving card? In that case, no.
I suggest you open the box to see what is in it. If you ordered something from Amazon a few days ago, it might be what you ordered.

james_bennett

Give me 5-10 minutes to remove the merchandise

I checked on my order history from Amazon; I definitely didn't order this. How about you give my 5-10 minutes to remove the merchandise from the box to see if there's any gift card inside? I'll post back if I find anything. I already opened the package, I just haven't removed the merchandise yet.

james_bennett

I couldn't find any return address or gift card

I just removed the merchandise and checked the inside of the box thoroughly and couldn't find any return address or gift card. A secret admirer maybe? In any case, I still want to know what the law is in case if Amazon made a mistake.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I just removed the merchandise and checked the inside of the box thoroughly and couldn't find any return address or gift card. A secret admirer maybe? In any case, I still want to know what the law is in case if Amazon made a mistake.
Oh for heaven's sake. Contact Amazon, tell them what happened and go from there.

Good grief.

FlyingRon

Yep, and your merchandise likely went somewhere else as well...Or, they just picked the wrong item at the warehouse.
Nope. I don't know how it happened but I got a massive box full of someone else's Christmas shopping. The pick slip inside had their info on it. Just wrong label on the outside of the box.
I guess when it came time to ship my item they just printed another label as there was nothing missing or delayed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Everything I have ever received from Amazon has had an invoice, detailing the contents of the box, who ordered, shipped to, etc.

Open the Amazon envelop and look at the invoice. They're going to need the order # anyhow.
Not me, I'd say that at approximately 3/4 of the packages I've received from Amazon over the last year haven't had any paperwork inside the box.

ETA: I just checked - I've placed well over 200 orders with Amazon in 2017.

LdiJ

Not me, I'd say that at approximately 3/4 of the packages I've received from Amazon over the last year haven't had any paperwork inside the box.

ETA: I just checked - I've placed well over 200 orders with Amazon in 2017.
I get a lot of orders from Amazon as well, and I am accustomed to there being a packing list inside with the order number, etc., on it. Are you sure that you are just so used to getting packages that you just don't notice the packing list?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I get a lot of orders from Amazon as well, and I am accustomed to there being a packing list inside with the order number, etc., on it. Are you sure that you are just so used to getting packages that you just don't notice the packing list?
Yep, positive. Many moons ago, before our company grew large enough to have a dedicated shipping & receiving department, one of my (many) duties was to receive shipments from vendors. I'm pretty anal about looking for shipping documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">