• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened with small claims court if i win my chargeback!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

giginy89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Philadelphia

i purchased a laptop from bonnanzaa and after receiving the laptop noticed there was an issue with the trackpad. I revisited the website and in sellers refund/return policy section it says "no returns" further down on the post in the item description it says "100% guaranteed returns. I contacted the seller directly and made an attempt to return the laptop and was told there were no returns. I then filled a chargeback with my credit card company. A month later i received a email from the seller stating that if i did not cancel the chargeback or if the lost the chargeback that they would be pressing charges and i will see them in small claims court. Should i respond to the seller? They live in and shipped the laptop from north carolina and i live in philadelphia, will i have to travel there for small claims court? does either party have a case?

HRZ

NC ha a bit of a long arm statute and in some cases NC can have jurisdiction over out of state defendants...I
Do Not know details ...some here may... ( absent a long arm statute they would need to sue you in Philadelphia and that's a royal pain for them)

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Philadelphia

i purchased a laptop from bonnanzaa and after receiving the laptop noticed there was an issue with the trackpad. I revisited the website and in sellers refund/return policy section it says "no returns" further down on the post in the item description it says "100% guaranteed returns. I contacted the seller directly and made an attempt to return the laptop and was told there were no returns. I then filled a chargeback with my credit card company. A month later i received a email from the seller stating that if i did not cancel the chargeback or if the lost the chargeback that they would be pressing charges and i will see them in small claims court. Should i respond to the seller? They live in and shipped the laptop from north carolina and i live in philadelphia, will i have to travel there for small claims court? does either party have a case?
Threats of a lawsuit are often hot air. You are free to ignore them if you want. Or succumb to the threat if you want. Responding to the seller is useless unless your response is "I obey."

Meantime, if your chargeback is successful make sure you ship the item back to the seller even if it costs you a few buck to ship with a delivery confirmation.

If you keep it, he will have a case for the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">