• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elephantcage

Pennsylvania

So I was couch surfing at my friends house for a couple of weeks. She lives with her landlord and her other roommate. While I was living there, she stole about $200 from me and I wanted it back but she kept hiding her money and wouldn’t give it. She then placed $80 on her landlords bed for rent or something, so I went in and grabbed the money from the landlords bed before she would get it. I finally got my own place, but now she is saying her landlord has me on camera stealing and is going to press charges. Is there anyway of fighting it? Could I get it dismissed? What’s going to happen?

PayrollHRGuy

Well, you certainly committed the crime and you have no grounds to fight it and if there actually is video the evidence is pretty strong. Get a lawyer.

Elephantcage

And it wasn’t technically the landlords yet, it was just on her bed. She wasn’t coming back to get it for like 2 weeks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And it wasn’t technically the landlords yet, it was just on her bed. She wasn’t coming back to get it for like 2 weeks
Sorry but no. YOU STOLE it. It was in the landlord's bedroom. It was NOT yours. You did the wrong thing. It was hers. She knew it was there. You are a thief. Most likely that is a misdemeanor. You have issues.

Elephantcage

Okay, just didn’t know if it matter that is was my money that was stolen, not the girls money to give to the LL. I understand in the eye of the law it doesn’t matter, most logically things don’t. But I was getting my money back, it’s not the LL because it would have to also be the tenants, but it was not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you didn't report it then legally there was no theft. If it isn't documented, it didn't happen.

There is no legal concept whatsoever under which the $80 was yours to take. By your own admission, you have no proof of who stole your money. But under every legal concept going, you stole the $80. It was not yours and no amount of claiming it will make it legally so.

So yes, you are a thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">