• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on MIP charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luckyismydog

So a few weeks ago I went to my friend's birthday party at a rental house by the lake, I'm 18 years old by the way, we were partying, drinking, etc. I went to sleep about 4 AM. I woke up to a police officer around 8:30 AM telling me to get up and go into the living room. Someone had called the police with a complaint because a truck was parked in the middle of the county road. After that, the officers breathalyzed all the people that were sleeping at the house. I still had alcohol in my system at the time, and I blew a 0.06. They then gave me a citation for Minor In Possession of Alcohol. They took my driver's license away and gave me a temporary license. A few hours later they let me drive home from the house with my temporary license. I'm wondering if anyone would know how I could get this dismissed in court. The police came into the residence without a warrant, although they could see open containers in the residence upon the door being opened, and they let me drive after giving me the citation for Minor in possession. On the ticket it says the stop type was pedestrian ( with the two choices being pedestrian and vehicle) although I was inside of a house.

quincy

So a few weeks ago I went to my friend's birthday party at a rental house by the lake, I'm 18 years old by the way, we were partying, drinking, etc. I went to sleep about 4 AM. I woke up to a police officer around 8:30 AM telling me to get up and go into the living room. Someone had called the police with a complaint because a truck was parked in the middle of the county road. After that, the officers breathalyzed all the people that were sleeping at the house. I still had alcohol in my system at the time, and I blew a 0.06. They then gave me a citation for Minor In Possession of Alcohol. They took my driver's license away and gave me a temporary license. A few hours later they let me drive home from the house with my temporary license. I'm wondering if anyone would know how I could get this dismissed in court. The police came into the residence without a warrant, although they could see open containers in the residence upon the door being opened, and they let me drive after giving me the citation for Minor in possession. On the ticket it says the stop type was pedestrian ( with the two choices being pedestrian and vehicle) although I was inside of a house.
Your chances of getting the MIP dismissed are greater if you have a lawyer, in whatever state you happen to reside. For more information, please provide the name of your state.

quincy

So ... are you in Arkansas? :p

A conviction on a minor in possession violation, first offense, subjects you to a fine of $100 to $500 and probation and/or the writing of an essay on alcohol abuse. Your driver's license can be suspended for 60 days.

The law, Arkansas Code section 3-3-203: http://codes.findlaw.com/ar/title-3-alcoholic-beverages/ar-code-sect-3-3-203.html

There are enough questions about the police actions that you would be smart to see an attorney in your area for a review. It is possible that the charge can be dismissed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

My link works just fine for me (and it comes without all of the attorney ads).

Last edited:

quincy

Works now for me as well. I got a 404 error before.

Probably the same problem I was having with the "new posts".
Possibly. My links sometimes require tweaking so I am trying to get in the habit of checking them now. I was pretty sure this one worked. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">