+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Co defendants

Co defendants

In Missouri does a no contact order have to be served to the co defendants who are both witnesses in a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Ervin View Post
    In Missouri does a no contact order have to be served to the co defendants who are both witnesses in a crime.
    Can a no contact order for Co defendants be placed if the Co defendants are in a relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Ervin View Post
    I am sorry but that question doesn't really make sense without context. Please give us some background and explain how people can be both co-defendants, AND witnesses.

Well, to start with, presumably, if they were both there, each was a witness to the others acts. If there are other actors involved they could be witnesses to those other actors actions.

Yes, a no contact order can be issued against married parties ordering them to have no contact with each other.

Most places I have seen issue a no contact order upon the defendant being bailed out of jail. It could be issued when the person is formally charged. They are generally given rules (conditions) they must folllow when they are released (as opposed to being jailed) .

Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    Well, to start with, presumably, if they were both there, each was a witness to the others acts. If there are other actors involved they could be witnesses to those other actors actions.

Yes, a no contact order can be issued against married parties ordering them to have no contact with each other.

Most places I have seen issue a no contact order upon the defendant being bailed out of jail. It could be issued when the person is formally charged. They are generally given rules (conditions) they must folllow when they are released (as opposed to being jailed) .
    She didn't say they were married. And depending on whether the married people are codefendants, many places will not order that. Because married people have spousal immunity. Now if one is a victim and the other perpetrator, yes. With unmarried people, yes.

Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    She didn't say they were married. And depending on whether the married people are codefendants, many places will not order that. Because married people have spousal immunity. Now if one is a victim and the other perpetrator, yes. With unmarried people, yes.
    Thanks. I did misread that.

Obviously a lot depends on the situstion but given a spouse can testify for or against the other spouse there are situstions where an RO is entirely proper.

+ Reply to Thread