• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co defendants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

In Missouri does a no contact order have to be served to the co defendants who are both witnesses in a crime.
I am sorry but that question doesn't really make sense without context. Please give us some background and explain how people can be both co-defendants, AND witnesses.

justalayman

Well, to start with, presumably, if they were both there, each was a witness to the others acts. If there are other actors involved they could be witnesses to those other actors actions.

Yes, a no contact order can be issued against married parties ordering them to have no contact with each other.

Most places I have seen issue a no contact order upon the defendant being bailed out of jail. It could be issued when the person is formally charged. They are generally given rules (conditions) they must folllow when they are released (as opposed to being jailed) .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, to start with, presumably, if they were both there, each was a witness to the others acts. If there are other actors involved they could be witnesses to those other actors actions.

Yes, a no contact order can be issued against married parties ordering them to have no contact with each other.

Most places I have seen issue a no contact order upon the defendant being bailed out of jail. It could be issued when the person is formally charged. They are generally given rules (conditions) they must folllow when they are released (as opposed to being jailed) .
She didn't say they were married. And depending on whether the married people are codefendants, many places will not order that. Because married people have spousal immunity. Now if one is a victim and the other perpetrator, yes. With unmarried people, yes.

justalayman

She didn't say they were married. And depending on whether the married people are codefendants, many places will not order that. Because married people have spousal immunity. Now if one is a victim and the other perpetrator, yes. With unmarried people, yes.
Thanks. I did misread that.

Obviously a lot depends on the situstion but given a spouse can testify for or against the other spouse there are situstions where an RO is entirely proper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">