• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

electrician legalities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

Read the law I linked to. I can find nothing there that says it isn't unless you are working under the supervision of a licenced person.

PayrollHRGuy

It clearly says a licence is required to be an electrician. What it doesn't say is anything is anything about the exceptions you think are there for residential and industrial.

Leyeden

It clearly says a licence is required to be an electrician. What it doesn't say is anything is anything about the exceptions you think are there for residential and industrial.

4740.01 Construction industry licensing board definitions.
(F) "Construction project" means a construction project involving a building or structure subject to Chapter 3781. of the Revised Code and the rules adopted under that chapter, but not an industrialized unit or a residential building as defined in section 3781.06 of the Revised Code.

(B) "Contractor" means any individual or contracting company that satisfies both of the following:

(1) Has responsibility for the means, method, and manner of construction, improvement, renovation, repair, or maintenance on a construction project with respect to one or more trades and who offers, identifies, advertises, or otherwise holds out or represents that the individual or contracting company is permitted or qualified to perform or have responsibility for the means, method, and manner of construction, improvement, renovation, repair, or maintenance with respect to one or more trades on a construction project;

(2) Does either of the following:

(a) Performs construction, improvement, or renovation on a construction project with respect to the individual's or contracting company's trade;

(b) Employs tradespersons who perform construction, improvement, or renovation on a construction project with respect to the individual's or contracting company's trades.

Leyeden

4740.13 Contractor operating without license.
(A) No person shall act as or claim to be a type of contractor that this chapter licenses unless that person holds or has been assigned a license issued pursuant to this chapter for the type of contractor that person is acting as or claiming to be.

read contractor definition in post directly before this one (it excludes residential and industrial)

Last edited:

Leyeden

do you mind sharing where it says that? i believe it is required but cannot find the requirement.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

It says it in the section you quoted above.

And I'll admit you may well be correct that a state licence isn't required for residential or industrial. Unless they there is another chapter of law that I haven't found or there has been some other regulation created by the state.

But as I said political subdivisions have likely covered that by requiring one

JakobOhio

It says it in the section you quoted above.

And I'll admit you may well be correct that a state licence isn't required for residential or industrial. Unless they there is another chapter of law that I haven't found or there has been some other regulation created by the state.

But as I said political subdivisions have likely covered that by requiring one
I would advise him to look really hard into county/municipality rules. I cannot think of any county/municipality in Ohio that doesn't require a license

Leyeden

I would advise him to look really hard into county/municipality rules. I cannot think of any county/municipality in Ohio that doesn't require a license
thanks, i think that is probably where it lies, i wish the licensing board would e-mail me back verification though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">