• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex husband filed my tax return without me and put his bank account for refund.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
So I talked to a tax laywer. He suggested I hire him for 1500. He says i have a real mess and suggested 1) he go over all of my returns to make sure they are sound. 2) He request all personal bank statements he used to substantiate MY business expenses. He has told me he won't provide those to me because it's not needed and I'm not being audited.

The lawyer said that he would want me to be able to know for sure I had statements that back up my taxes and if I didn't -- that would be a huge red flag.

He said if he doesn't reply to this request, I could sue him for fraud. Bottom line -- he was a registered agent on my business. He made business expenses on HIS personal credit card and claimed them but never gave me receipts for them.

I gently brought this up to him and asked him if I could have these bank statements. He said no. He said the fact that I'm even entertaining this bull shi* from my accountant shows I can't be trusted and he needs to lawyer up.

He also said he won't take my **** and if he feels threatened he won't stand for it and will end relationship with me forever.

My question is would you press this and ask for all the statements and hire a lawyer to obtain them if he won't cough them up? Or would you let it go and just hope you don't get audited.
So? End it already.

You should neither be a business partner nor a life partner with this dude.

Your should not financially partner up (business or romantically) with anyone who is going to be anything less than financially transparent. Think about this: if you were the one pulling stunts like this, he'd get back at you in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I can predict that if you are audited, he will blame you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

That's excellent advice! I didn't realize that, but that is a very good possible explanation.

My biggest fear is all of this drama is gonna make the IRS audit me. So much back and forth...

Is it too much to ask for his bank statements from this time period? He just sees alarms going off regarding this -- he thinks everyone is out to get him. And threatened to lawyer up against me and my accountant. He said why do you need this if you haven't been audited? "because you want to cause problems"
Its not too much to ask for them but he is clearly not going to give them to you unless he is forced to do so. So, you need to try what I suggested first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">