• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carofl93

State is FL.

Yesterday a younger (age 8) friend of my stepdaughter's said she was flashed by a man in a truck, right in front of our house. There was a prior flashing incident with another friend of both girls (age 13) this past summer. I called the police as she was coming to my home to play with my SD. I also had her call her mother. When the officers arrived at the house, I filled out an affidavit regarding what the girl told me. Her mother also filled out an affidavit when she came down to the house. I was asked to raise my right hand and swear that what I had written was the truth.
Today my SD told me that her friend was lying, that she wanted more time to play as she has to be home when the streetlights come on. I did find it odd that she was so calm about the event since the older girl was hysterical when she had been flashed. I mentioned her calmness to the officers and they told me that she could just be a mellow kid.
We've had heavy police patrolling, the local newspaper was notified, and the PD handed out flyers this afternoon in the neighborhood.
If it does turn out that she was making up a story (I really hope she didn't), am I going to get into trouble for a false report? Her mother seemed shocked that I called the PD. Honestly I think any one would have done the same....I know I'd want them called if it were one of mine.
Thanks.

CdwJava

To be successfully prosecuted for filing a false police report you have to be more than just mistaken, you have to have made the report KNOWING it to be false. That does not appear to be the case.

Don't worry about prosecution.

- Carl

carofl93

Thank you!

That is a major load off my mind now.
We've still got the police doing drivebys, but haven't seen the truck that was involved.

Thanks again,
Carol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">