• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I report a false police report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hankk

Washington state Hi. I have a protection order issued against me and my ex-wife keeps trying to get me criminally convicted by alleging I violate the order. Once for a letter a friend of mine wrote her without my knowledge and now she went to the police and showed the officer an outdated protection order which was replaced by another one which was less restrictive. She told the officer I violated the terms of the (no longer existing) order and I am facing criminal charges now. Of course I can get these charges dismissed in court but just showing that the order was no longer in place but I need to do something about my ex so that she won't keep on trying to "get me". How can I have someone prosecuted for filing a proven false police report and other forms of consistent legal persecution? Thank you

CdwJava

You can bring your evidence to the police and see if they will investigate. Alternatively, if she tries to take you to court and you can get the court to see that her story is a lie, maybe they will take action.

The problem is proving that her actions were knowingly and intentionally false. Being mistaken is not the same as intentionally misleading. The DA and the courts are wary of trying to pursue charges against those who are alleged victims of domestic violence or other related activity, so the evidence would have to be pretty compelling to get them to even consider prosecuting.

Just Blue

Washington state Hi. I have a protection order issued against me and my ex-wife keeps trying to get me criminally convicted by alleging I violate the order. Once for a letter a friend of mine wrote her without my knowledge and now she went to the police and showed the officer an outdated protection order which was replaced by another one which was less restrictive. She told the officer I violated the terms of the (no longer existing) order and I am facing criminal charges now. Of course I can get these charges dismissed in court but just showing that the order was no longer in place but I need to do something about my ex so that she won't keep on trying to "get me". How can I have someone prosecuted for filing a proven false police report and other forms of consistent legal persecution? Thank you
PxHx**************..

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
PxHx**************..
Geeze Louise!

Yes, I think he needs therapy. He is his own worst enemy.

Just like he should focus on current orders, and exercise his parenting time to the max rather than complain about the past,
he should focus on following the protective orders to a "T".

What sort of dingbat doesn't know that it's not a good idea to write a note to the *mother* of the person who has a PO against you?
What sort of dingbat writes anything in the Christmas card to their ex-MIL other than greetings and name?
What sort of dingbat with a PO against him uses the court ordered parenting communication site and types in *anything* beyond when and where kid exchanges are.

OP, get a notebook and start writing down everything you are tempted to say to your ex/STBX and anyone who knows her. Then incinerate it completely in a safe fashion. Repeat until you not longer have the urge to whinge AND the order has expired.

If she feels threatened, then she is not acting out of malice and you have no case.

andycole

You should solve this issue only with a lawyer, as for me this issue is difficult to solve, to be more precise it is impossible, so act quickly.

quincy

Hankk, you should keep all related questions to a single thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">