• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am completely lost!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Khaleesi1022

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I was assigned a federal defender for my case. I was indicted on federal charges back in June of last year for a crime from 2012. I was scheduled an original court date of 7/5/17 and since then the case has been continued with my latest court date being 1/29/2018. I live in Michigan and my court is scheduled in Texas. This date is only 14 days away I have not once been able to speak with my lawyer about my case. I have zero information as to what is going on with my case. I cannot get my lawyer or anyone else involved in my case to contact me. I have left several messages and sent emails as well with no response. I am at a loss since this has been continued so many times already and really without any knowledge as to why. The lawyers assistant had told me at one point they were trying to arrange a plea agreement but now I cannot even get in contact with her I have no idea what I should do This crime was over 5 years ago. I need to know if I need to get a plane ticket which gets more expensive by the day and is non refundable if it is not needed. I cannot afford to throw away money like that I just dont know where to turn or what I can do. Can someone please help me?

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I was assigned a federal defender for my case. I was indicted on federal charges back in June of last year for a crime from 2012. I was scheduled an original court date of 7/5/17 and since then the case has been continued with my latest court date being 1/29/2018. I live in Michigan and my court is scheduled in Texas. This date is only 14 days away I have not once been able to speak with my lawyer about my case. I have zero information as to what is going on with my case. I cannot get my lawyer or anyone else involved in my case to contact me. I have left several messages and sent emails as well with no response. I am at a loss since this has been continued so many times already and really without any knowledge as to why. The lawyers assistant had told me at one point they were trying to arrange a plea agreement but now I cannot even get in contact with her I have no idea what I should do This crime was over 5 years ago. I need to know if I need to get a plane ticket which gets more expensive by the day and is non refundable if it is not needed. I cannot afford to throw away money like that I just dont know where to turn or what I can do. Can someone please help me?
Can you drive there?

PayrollHRGuy

Virtually every airline offers refundable/changeable tickets. Yes they cost more but in a case like yours they are what you need.

justalayman

Who is sending you notices of the dates and rescheduling of dates?

Is there simply no answer at the office you are calling?

Maybe you need to contact the court clerk to see if that attorney is still your attorney of record. While it is required you are aware of your attorney withdrawing from your case, given the issues you describe I wouldn’t ignore the possibility even if it wasn’t done properly.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I need to know if I need to get a plane ticket which gets more expensive by the day and is non refundable if it is not needed. I cannot afford to throw away money like that I just dont know where to turn or what I can do. Can someone please help me?
Get the tickets and be prepared to show up for the hearing until you know for sure you do not need to be there. Buy refundable tickets or tickets that you can reschedule the trip for some later date with a modest fee. Those tickets will cost a bit more than the ultra cheap absolutely no refund/no change tickets but would get you more flexibility. You need to be at all the hearings that require your attendance. You do not want that hearing to go and you are not there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">