• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In jail 8 days and still haven’t spoke to public defender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I suspect the OP isn't the one in jail ;)
Oh. I suspect you are right. :)

From the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Chapter 26, Arraignment:

"An attorney appointed ... shall make every reasonable effort to contact the defendant not later than the end of the first working day after the date on which the attorney is appointed and to interview the defendant as soon as practicable after the attorney is appointed."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.26.htm

There could be more than one public defender who is appointed for any one defendant so the attorney a defendant speaks to first may not be the attorney who represents the defendant in court.

justalayman

Oh. I suspect you are right. :)

From the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Chapter 26, Arraignment:

"An attorney appointed ... shall make every reasonable effort to contact the defendant not later than the end of the first working day after the date on which the attorney is appointed and to interview the defendant as soon as practicable after the attorney is appointed."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.26.htm

There could be more than one public defender who is appointed for any one defendant so the attorney a defendant speaks to first may not be the attorney who represents the defendant in court.
I don’t know how it works in Texas but around me, there is no PD appointed until there is a preliminary/plea hearing. At that point the defendant is asked whether they will be hiring private counsel or applying for a PD. It may be as simple as person in jail has not applied for or reached the point where they would apply for a PD.

But, just like the question of; how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop, we may never know anything more about the op.

quincy

I don’t know how it works in Texas but around me, there is no PD appointed until there is a preliminary/plea hearing. At that point the defendant is asked whether they will be hiring private counsel or applying for a PD. It may be as simple as person in jail has not applied for or reached the point where they would apply for a PD.

But, just like the question of; how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop, we may never know anything more about the op.
Right. There needs to be an arraignment.

But, until rudyrascal returns with some details, there is not a whole lot we can tell him ... not that this generally prevents us from saying things anyway. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">