• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a citation for Theft by Deception at Walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennfer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I know what I did is wrong. And I feel terrible about it. Here's my story. I had been struggling financially for a couple of months. I was waiting to see if I was going qualify for unemployment. I had very little money. Ok I went to Walmart and I changed the the price on two items. Cat food and cat litter. I purchased other items at the normal price. The store price for the cat food and cat litter amounts to $16.00. The total price for both items I changed the price on was around $8.00. The police were called and they gave me a citation. When everything was said and done a Walmart employee came and took the cat litter and cat food and left my other purchased items with me.i know what I did is wrong, I know this! However, what really gets me is I paid $8.00 for the cat litter and cat food and they kept my $8.00. They should of given me back my money., Right? So in all reality they just stole $8.00 from me. Because I was caught changing the price doesn't give them the right to keep my money. They took back their goods and they should of given me back my cash. What is my argument? In my eyes they commited a crime by taking my money. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Perhaps a different way to look at it? Thank you for your time. I will be anxiously awaiting for your reply.
Sincerely,
jennfer

FlyingRon

Oh, please. Lose the victim mentality on this. Walmart stole NOTHING from you. You lost the right to that when you were found to have defrauded them. In fact, even though they recovered the merchandise doesn't mean they have it's full value.

1. Stop Stealing.
2. Stay out of Walmart
3. Get a lawyer (if you are indigent, ask for a public defender).
4. Keep your mouth shut about the crime without a lawyer's advice.

Not only can you kiss your $8 goodbye, the next sound you will hear is a letter from Walmart's "attorneys" demanding additional restitution for damages people like you cause them. They are entitled under the law to puruse you for the price of the merchandise PLUS damages up to $250. You can argue then that you owe them only $258 and not $266.

Better start saving your pennies. You will have to pay for the attorney as well (even with the public defender if you are found guilty), plus the fine (if you're lucky and the judge doesn't send you to jail), plus the costs of your probation and other court costs.

You've got way more that $8 to worry about.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I know what I did is wrong. And I feel terrible about it. Here's my story. I had been struggling financially for a couple of months. I was waiting to see if I was going qualify for unemployment. I had very little money. Ok I went to Walmart and I changed the the price on two items. Cat food and cat litter. I purchased other items at the normal price. The store price for the cat food and cat litter amounts to $16.00. The total price for both items I changed the price on was around $8.00. The police were called and they gave me a citation. When everything was said and done a Walmart employee came and took the cat litter and cat food and left my other purchased items with me.i know what I did is wrong, I know this! However, what really gets me is I paid $8.00 for the cat litter and cat food and they kept my $8.00. They should of given me back my money., Right? So in all reality they just stole $8.00 from me. Because I was caught changing the price doesn't give them the right to keep my money. They took back their goods and they should of given me back my cash. What is my argument? In my eyes they commited a crime by taking my money. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Perhaps a different way to look at it? Thank you for your time. I will be anxiously awaiting for your reply.
Sincerely,
jennfer
Funniest post so far of 2018. Congrats, OP!

pac72

id suggest you contact the police to file charges against them... see how that works out for you.. the nerve that YOU ARE THE VICTIM is amazing...

or is it an entitlement to defraud Walmart because they have more money than you ?

maybe you can get an $8 credit towards restitution when you are found GUILTY??

you should look into the legal term of "clean hands"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Heck, let's say the OP is right. The OP can simply pay the coming civil demand short by $8.00 and be done with it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">