• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting on military base exchange

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boodled

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My wife was caught shoplifting a face cream valued at 80.00 at a base exchange, we were asked to pay 200.00 civil recovery fee, which we paid, now she is facing charges in Federal court for Theft of Goverment property, which we are going to fight. What is the most she can get on this charge.?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

The government easily gets the civil penalty and suspension of the shoplifter (and family bar from the exchange). Jail time is unlikely, but if they pursue the shoplifting charge expect a longer (perhaps permanent) ban from the exchange, probation and community service and fines and costs.

I assume this was a civilian family member?

boodled

shoplifting at a military exchange

Thank you for replying to this post, I would like to see if there are others in Texas that have or had the same charge. My wife was questioned by military authorities at the BX and was told not to worry, that this was just a misdemeanor and that everything was okay fro her to tell them what happened, she said it was a mistake, but after hearing the officer say that she had nothing to worry about she admitted to the crime, at that point she was not read her rights, not until she was handcuffed and taken to military police headquarters, then she was given the Miranda, but she had already confessed to the crime before she was read her rights. is this legal?

cyjeff

Your wife stole on base.

A different set of rules live there.

Besides, they didn't need to mirandize her if they CAUGHT her stealing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">