• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

steal mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California
An old roommate goes down to the post office and puts a hold on my mail. After a week of NO mail I ask the mail man if I had any mail, he tells me about the hold that was placed on my mail. So the ex-roomate takes all my mail from the post office which is never recoveried.
I read that the penalty is 5 years 250,000 dollar fine, and is a federal crime. So my question is, should I go thru the trouble of following up on this? Is the actual sentence going to be $1000 fine and a slap on the wrist? I mean stealing someones mail should be a serious crime. I just do not want to spend all this time if the punishment will not fit the crime.

CdwJava

Go to the post office and find out the contact information for the Postal Inspector that covers your office and make the report to them.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">