• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Daughter access my computer without my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for all your help. I do know my role in the custody matter. It is my wife asking to do research on the matter, and she is wanting to press charges against her daughter. Thank you again for your help and advice. I do appreciate it. -Andrew
The two of you can file a police report. They may or may not do something with it.

Your stepdaughter is 19, legally an adult. Perhaps a more practical thing, if you are on the same page, is to not allow the stepdaughter in your home without supervision. Or at all.

Even if the emails were admissible (which they are not), it does not sound like the contents are legally relevant. In fact, it would make *Dad* look bad if he tried to make an ado about this.

It's not like you're emailing about how the two of you are abusing the kids, and how you want to keep your stories straight on how those bones got broken... If it were, it'd be a little excusable that big sis' was trying to protect her siblings and cross some lines rescuing them.

quincy

The two of you can file a police report. They may or may not do something with it.

Your stepdaughter is 19, legally an adult. Perhaps a more practical thing, if you are on the same page, is to not allow the stepdaughter in your home without supervision. Or at all.

Even if the emails were admissible (which they are not), it does not sound like the contents are legally relevant. In fact, it would make *Dad* look bad if he tried to make an ado about this.

It's not like you're emailing about how the two of you are abusing the kids, and how you want to keep your stories straight on how those bones got broken... If it were, it'd be a little excusable that big sis' was trying to protect her siblings and cross some lines rescuing them.
The police will do something with the report. The police will speak with the stepdaughter about the report made against her.

What may not result from the report is a criminal charge. What has been described by Bsballplyr is not the type of computer crime that a prosecutor generally chooses to pursue.

Bsballplyr

So far correct on the police making no charges do to no financial gain, however they did recommend that our lawyer pursue having the 3111 child evaluation thrown out and redone due to the ex husband using the screen shot emails between me and my wife as an advantage during the 3111 evaluation. I’ll update after our meeting with my wife’s lawyer Monday and then after court on wednesday. Thanks again

quincy

So far correct on the police making no charges do to no financial gain, however they did recommend that our lawyer pursue having the 3111 child evaluation thrown out and redone due to the ex husband using the screen shot emails between me and my wife as an advantage during the 3111 evaluation. I’ll update after our meeting with my wife’s lawyer Monday and then after court on wednesday. Thanks again
The copies of the emails were used in a custody evaluation? Interesting. I don't see how or why they could be used to the advantage of your wife's ex.

Thanks for the update.

Bsballplyr

Spoke with lawyer yesterday, 3111 report has my step sons saying that my wife would take their phone and email me during deployment saying they wanted to live with their mom and I. Which they consider child alienation and recommended they live with their father (the father has also been caught prepping the boys prior to mediation interview). I already had the boys verify their emails that they wrote their statement of wanting to live with us. They also told me that their mom would take their phone to help them write emails. I am unable to bring up court, but the 3111 interview question was “did your mom ever take your phone to write emails?”

As far as my step daughters emails, the ones that were submitted will be thrown out. Can’t fight the boys emails due to them being able to show their father themselves. Also was recommended to get a restraining order on her (for getting into my computer) that way her father loses his ability to use her to pick up the boys (which has happened 75% of the time)which is something my wife is considering.

Due to the report not being delivered to the lawyer more than 10 days from the hearing our lawyer is requesting a continuance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Spoke with lawyer yesterday, 3111 report has my step sons saying that my wife would take their phone and email me during deployment saying they wanted to live with their mom and I. Which they consider child alienation and recommended they live with their father (the father has also been caught prepping the boys prior to mediation interview). I already had the boys verify their emails that they wrote their statement of wanting to live with us. They also told me that their mom would take their phone to help them write emails. I am unable to bring up court, but the 3111 interview question was “did your mom ever take your phone to write emails?”

As far as my step daughters emails, the ones that were submitted will be thrown out. Can’t fight the boys emails due to them being able to show their father themselves. Also was recommended to get a restraining order on her (for getting into my computer) that way her father loses his ability to use her to pick up the boys (which has happened 75% of the time)which is something my wife is considering.

Due to the report not being delivered to the lawyer more than 10 days from the hearing our lawyer is requesting a continuance.
Poor kids - it sucks to be put in the middle of this. Shame on all of the adults involved!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Why in the world was your wife doing this? Was she just checking their spelling? Just reading?

Hopefully your responses to such emails were benign, along the lines of, "That's sweet, I miss you guys too."

Seriously, neither party should be including the kids alleged opinions on where they want to live - because they don't have a choice and it's just plain cruel to put them in the middle and use them. Both parties (your wife and her ex-husband) should be encouraging the kids to have a healthy relationship with the other parent.

quincy

A continuance is good (and probably should be granted).

I agree with the others that the children should not have been, and should not now be, involved in any custody dispute. They love both parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">