• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sword photo problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noahhound

Columbus OH. Me and my friends wanted to take photos of these costumes we put together out near a dam or other scenic area. My character though (trunks from dragonballz) is known for carrying a sword. Would it be legal to carry this sword for Photoshoots? (the blade is 32 inches. It's unsharpened but has a pointed tip)

I tried looking online but Ohio's laws just seem as clear as mud on bladed weapon laws.

Thank you

FlyingRon

The law defines "deadly weapon" as "any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

A sword probably can fit that definition. The good news is as long as you don't carry it concealed (unlikely) or take it into a courthouse or school, the law doesn't restrict the mere possession of it. As long as you are engaged in photography or theatrical use of it, you're probably OK. Of course, if you threaten someone with it, that's a different story.

I suggest that you carry the sword cased between whatever "events" you intend to use it however, just so people don't get the wrong idea.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you make the prop out of material that is not metal...styrofoam, wood, plastic, etc.?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">