• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespass on Military Base

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RangerX3X

I live in Jacksonville, FL and yesterday drove to Ft. Stewart, GA, a US Military base that has several public roads that go through the base.

I pulled off on a dirt road and stopped at a field to collect empty shell casings. A wildlife management officer that was armed pulled up and issued me a $125 ticket for trespass. He said I could either pay the fine through the mail or request a court date.

I tried to explain to the officer that there is nothing on the base that indicates the area was off limits. He stated to the contrary that there was, and for me to legally be where I was, I should have “checked-in” and received an ID card and vehicle pass.

There is nothing on the road I turned off on (I am being completely serious here) that says where I was at was a restricted area. There were plenty of signs that said what the area was, but in no way related that this was not public property.

The officer said there was a sign on the road when you enter the base that states if you pull off any road you are on federal property and would be trespassing. I have been to Ft. Stewart many times and I have never seen any such sign. Granted there are many areas on the base that indicate a controlled access point such as the garrison area and I never go near those obviously. The place where I was ticketed had no such warning.

My concern is this:

1) Is this worth requesting a court date (US District Court) or should I just pay the fine?
2) If I pay the fine is it an admission of guilt (I feel that I am innocent of the charge and that the base should have some reasonable responsibility in properly marking their regulations and areas).
3) Most important: If I pay the fine, would I be considered a felon and/or could this prevent me from purchasing a hand gun in the future?

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

cyjeff

not to mention that whereever there are shell casings, there are shells.

The main reason bases want to know where you are is to make sure you don't find yourself in the middle of a live fire exercise.

ERAUPIKE

The officer said there was a sign on the road when you enter the base that states if you pull off any road you are on federal property and would be trespassing. I have been to Ft. Stewart many times and I have never seen any such sign.

Before you try to fight this be sure that this sign doesn't actually exist. If it does then you have no leg to stand on and will be found guilty and you may be found guilty without it as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">