• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we done yet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Perhaps those "idiots" on the USSC have forgotten that as well.

Must this degenerate to name-calling already? Will we next enact Godwin's law?
So west side can refer to idiots in his/her post and you come after me for referring to "idiots"? Why the double standard?

PayrollHRGuy

So west side can refer to idiots in his/her post and you come after me for referring to "idiots"? Why the double standard?
Unless you have an armed protection detail his/her "idiot" comment wasn't aimed at you. And westside isn't a Senior Member.

That said, it isn't guns and it isn't ARs in particular. There is something that has changed the way people, generally younger people, deal with crap. I can't think of a single mass shooting that another gun law would have corrected. I can think of several (including yesterday's) that application of existing law would have.

You know I respect you OG as I do most of the Senior Members on this forum. So if you can come up with a law that you think would reduce the likelihood of tragedies like yesterday please put them forward for discussion.

P.S. the word "regulated" has had more than one definition over the years.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Unless you have an armed protection detail his/her "idiot" comment wasn't aimed at you. And westside isn't a Senior Member.

That said, it isn't guns and it isn't ARs in particular. There is something that has changed the way people, generally younger people, deal with crap. I can't think of a single mass shooting that another gun law would have corrected. I can think of several (including yesterday's) that application of existing law would have.

You know I respect you OG as I do most of the Senior Members on this forum. So if you can come up with a law that you think would reduce the likelihood of tragedies like yesterday please put them forward for discussion.

P.S. the word "regulated" has had more than one definition over the years.
I didn't say it was aimed at me. And I wasn't aiming my comment at anyone here quite honestly. I probably should have explained it more in depth but I was upset and emotional last night.

Explain why an 18 year old can buy a gun legally and not a beer? A gun is a weapon to kill. A beer is something to drink. It is easier to buy a gun (no training, no safety precautions necessary) than it is to get a license to drive a car (what with tests and education required and rules getting tighter in many places). Why isn't that something that people would consider? Get rid of the loopholes -- some states don't report domestic violence to the database; second hand gun sales don't require a background check; those types of things.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm suggesting mentally disturbed and violent people not be able to get their hands on AR-15.
Not sure how the AR-15 part is relevant. It's ANY firearm.

Hell, I can walk into a building and do a lot more damage with my Glock 19 then I could with an AR.

It looks like the FBI dropped the ball here big-time. Seems as though they got a tip about this kid and didn't investigate. On the surface, at least, it seems like this one could have been stopped.

CdwJava

Maybe. It's still not clear whether anything this noodle said or did could have compelled his arrest or commitment. An FBI investigation does not automatically result in a conviction or being placed on a prohibited list for firearms possession.

Just Blue

Not sure how the AR-15 part is relevant. It's ANY firearm.

Hell, I can walk into a building and do a lot more damage with my Glock 19 then I could with an AR.

It looks like the FBI dropped the ball here big-time. Seems as though they got a tip about this kid and didn't investigate. On the surface, at least, it seems like this one could have been stopped.
There is a reason that AR15 are the weapon of choice with these...POS. I would "guess" it is because you can unload more bullets before putting in a new clip.

PayrollHRGuy

You would likely be wrong in that assumption. The are popular because the look a lot like the standard US battle rifle and, probably more importantly, there are tons of accessories that are available. They also are depicted in most combat video games.

I own 6.

xylene

Lots of wonderfully well thought out comments from esteemed senior members.

'Actually my Glock would be much better for carrying out a mass shooting'

Really? That's your argument? You actually typed that out to rebut calls for sensible gun control. :rolleyes:

PayrollHRGuy

What law do any of you think would have stopped the Florida shooting that could be defined as "Sensible Gun Control."

xylene

What law do any of you think would have stopped the Florida shooting that could be defined as "Sensible Gun Control."
Prohibiting routine civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms with detachable magazines, class them as restricted weapons like full autos are now, with a special license and transfer tax required.

ALL gun sales AND transfer carried out through FFL gun dealers only, with an electronic record of transaction and a transfer tax

Universal Registration of all firearms

Civilian Ownership and Possession of firearms prohibited by persons under 21 (and yeah I even mean hunting and shooting prohibition)

National gun violence database and tracking and expansive funding of research on the public health impacts of firearms

No immunity for gun manufacturers

...that's pretty good start, I could go on. Legally binding standards for storage and inspection, limits on stockpiled ammo, 1 firearm a month, etc etc etc.

quincy

prohibiting routine civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms with detachable magazines, class them as restricted weapons like full autos are now, with a special license and transfer tax required.

All gun sales and transfer carried out through ffl gun dealers only, with an electronic record of transaction and a transfer tax

universal registration of all firearms

civilian ownership and possession of firearms prohibited by persons under 21 (and yeah i even mean hunting and shooting prohibition)

national gun violence database and tracking and expansive funding of research on the public health impacts of firearms

no immunity for gun manufacturers

...that's pretty good start, i could go on. Legally binding standards for storage and inspection, limits on stockpiled ammo, 1 firearm a month, etc etc etc.
^^^^ like ^^^^

Just Blue

Prohibiting routine civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms with detachable magazines, class them as restricted weapons like full autos are now, with a special license and transfer tax required.

ALL gun sales AND transfer carried out through FFL gun dealers only, with an electronic record of transaction and a transfer tax

Civilian Ownership and Possession of firearms prohibited by persons under 21 (and yeah I even mean hunting and shooting prohibition)

National gun violence database and tracking and expansive funding of research on the public health impacts of firearms

...that's pretty good start, I could go on. Legally binding standards for storage and inspection, limits on stockpiled ammo, 1 firearm a month, etc etc etc.
^^love^^

And why any reasonable person would find the ^ objectionable I just don't "get". If the ^ measures can save ONE LIFE...is that life not worth saving?

PayrollHRGuy

Your first suggestion would ban most of the handguns on the market today. And would be against the founding fathers aim when they wrote the second amendment.

But your suggestion of it does prove the point that the left does want to take firearms and call it "Sensible Gun Control."

As far as the others how would it stop one of the shootings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">