• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we done yet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Every State.

Another school shooting this time in Parkland Fl. Children shot and killed.

I'm wondering when the American people will get sick of it and scream for stricter gun laws.

My deepest prayers to all those hurt today....

PayrollHRGuy

I want them to end as well but there is nothing that more gun laws will do. When I was in high school in the late 70's and early 80's it wasn't unusual for students to have rifles in the gun racks of their trucks when they came to school after hunting in the morning.

The problem isn't the lack of gun laws. The problem is something, and I don't know what that something is, with our culture.

Mass_Shyster

This is a violence problem, not a gun problem. Enact all the gun laws you want. Criminals will continue ignoring them. Prohibiting guns won't solve this problem any more than prohibiting opioids will solve the opioid problem.

LdiJ

The schools need more and better security. There is a serious culture of violence out there and something has to be done to ameliorate that. It doesn't help when our own president calls racist, violent thugs "good people".

However, I blame the parents a lot for things like this. They had to notice that their child had problems and should have addressed those problems while he was still a minor...and maybe they did, so maybe I am being unfair. I just believe that too many parents are simply not aware of what their teenagers are doing and feeling and too unaware that they could blow.

westside

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Every State.

Another school shooting this time in Parkland Fl. Children shot and killed.

I'm wondering when the American people will get sick of it and scream for stricter gun laws.

My deepest prayers to all those hurt today....
A bunch of idiots with armed protection details will make speeches tomorrow saying we need to pass "common sense gun legislation". If the media by some chance presses for details, examples will be given that are the same old talking points. It will turn out that once more is known about this tragedy, zero of those talking points will turn out to be at all germane to the situation.

Just Blue

This is a violence problem, not a gun problem. Enact all the gun laws you want. Criminals will continue ignoring them. Prohibiting guns won't solve this problem any more than prohibiting opioids will solve the opioid problem.
I'm not and never would suggest prohibition. I'm suggesting mentally disturbed and violent people not be able to get their hands on AR-15.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is a mixture.

I grew up with guns. Shooting at the age of 7 everything known to man.

The problem is -- GUN RIGHTS being screamed without gun responsibility.
In my house guns were locked up separate than ammunition. The ADULT in the house -- my parents -- were the ones with access.

That is not happening.

As a GAL, if someone has weapons, I ask and see how they are stored. I ask about the ammunition. I ask about mental health.

Trump LITERALLY got rid of the mental health requirement. Mental health matters. Safe procedures matter. Laws matter.

People state only non criminals follow laws. You know how many "good people" (aka non criminals) followed laws and I still end up involved because a child got a gun? A gun misfired? A gun was improperly transported? A gun? Yeah... The vast majority of people who end up in the legal system end up there because of the lack of gun laws. I expect the owners of these guns in FL may end up there in one way or another. If it is not them, then they are there because their child DID THIS. And it could have been prevented by proper securing of the weapons (meaning laws requiring the weapons being secured by the OWNERS SEPARATE from the ammunition) or various other things that seem common sense but were not done. And those are the things that need regulated. SO quite frankly, I believe in the constitution but read the words -- A WELL REGULATED MILITIA you idiots. WELL REGULATED. WE seem to forget that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No one is talking about prohibiting guns. NO ONE.

CdwJava

I'm not and never would suggest prohibition. I'm suggesting mentally disturbed and violent people not be able to get their hands on AR-15.
There are already laws on the books prohibiting possession by people convicted of violent offenses and people who have been committed for mental health issues. In CA, we now have a law that allows confiscation for even the accusation of being mentally unstable ... sure a judge has to agree, but the paperwork maze to try and get them back after such an accusation is Hellish. With regards to the recent FL shooting, we do not yet know whether or not any of these issues might have applied to the most recent shooter.

Typically, the proposals put forth by so-called gun control advocates would have done nothing to have prevented the most recent shooting. No legislation short of wholesale confiscation will mitigate the potential for the misuse of firearms - an act which would never pass muster in the US.

CdwJava

SO quite frankly, I believe in the constitution but read the words -- A WELL REGULATED MILITIA you idiots. WELL REGULATED. WE seem to forget that.
Perhaps those "idiots" on the USSC have forgotten that as well.

Must this degenerate to name-calling already? Will we next enact Godwin's law?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There are already laws on the books prohibiting possession by people convicted of violent offenses and people who have been committed for mental health issues. In CA, we now have a law that allows confiscation for even the accusation of being mentally unstable ... sure a judge has to agree, but the paperwork maze to try and get them back after such an accusation is Hellish. With regards to the recent FL shooting, we do not yet know whether or not any of these issues might have applied to the most recent shooter.

Typically, the proposals put forth by so-called gun control advocates would have done nothing to have prevented the most recent shooting. No legislation short of wholesale confiscation will mitigate the potential for the misuse of firearms - an act which would never pass muster in the US.
Exactly.

Thank you.

westside

Perhaps those "idiots" on the USSC have forgotten that as well.
More that they understood what the words weren't intended to mean, regulation by the national government.

On another note, is there any other important societal issue we attempt to solve by treating the symptoms rather than attacking the root cause?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The idiots was not aimed at anyone here. It was a general "idiots" aimed at the fact that people seem to love screaming 2nd Amendment and forget that those words are in the 2nd amendment. And while you quote me as name calling, I wasn't aiming that at anyone here. Anymore than westside was. Consider who is idiots was meant for and realize that I was copying his/her terminology. I am thinking more of the NRA talking points that the politicians bring out.

It is more difficult to be able to drive a car in this country than it is to own a gun -- when a gun is made to kill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">