• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal information disclosure by my local town

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussets

I noticed that the system my local town uses to collect the motor vehicle excise tax allows anybody to lookup the name and the address on file of the vehicle owner. To do it the malicious actor needs as little as the bill year, which can be set to the current year, and the license plate number. I was wondering what legal remedies are available to me to enforce the protection of people's personal information. While this is my main goal, I don't mind getting any compensation for damages the town's negligence may have caused me. The information has been open for almost a year. Though, I don't expect a high award here so just wanted them to fix the system. I don't really believe in simply calling them and prefer to use a more formal approach.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I noticed that the system my local town uses to collect the motor vehicle excise tax allows anybody to lookup the name and the address on file of the vehicle owner. To do it the malicious actor needs as little as the bill year, which can be set to the current year, and the license plate number. I was wondering what legal remedies are available to me to enforce the protection of people's personal information. While this is my main goal, I don't mind getting any compensation for damages the town's negligence may have caused me. The information has been open for almost a year. Though, I don't expect a high award here so just wanted them to fix the system. I don't really believe in simply calling them and prefer to use a more formal approach.
What "personal information" do you feel has been improperly disclosed? Why do you feel that the disclosure is improper?

krol

What "personal information" do you feel has been improperly disclosed? Why do you feel that the disclosure is improper?
I believe that my name and home address should not be disclosed. Nor should they be available from my license plate number.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Have you, as of this time, suffered any actual, provable damages that you can tie directly to this process?

Just Blue

Please define "anyone". Thanks....:)

Just Blue

anyone is any person or entity with access to the internet
and all they need is the plate number
then all excise tax bills are available as well as vehicle info
Contact your Mayor and ask how you can change the laws. Or the Taxman or an Attorney. But apparently it is now public info. I agree this is rather concerning...But there are step you and others can take to change it. Best of luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
anyone is any person or entity with access to the internet
and all they need is the plate number
then all excise tax bills are available as well as vehicle info
I hate to tell you this, but most information like this was easily available in MA even before the internet. Your community is required by State Law M.G.L. Chapter 51, Section 4 to have an annual census.

In the MA city I grew up in, residents could get a copy of a census book that had name, year of birth, address, occupation, of all adult residents. My mother made a point of keeping a copy in the kitchen.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No damages, no lawsuit.

You can contact the city and ask them to change the system. You can collect signatures on a petition. You can write to your state representatives. But if you don't have any damages, you don't have standing to sue.

krol

Contact your Mayor and ask how you can change the laws. Or the Taxman or an Attorney. But apparently it is now public info. I agree this is rather concerning...But there are step you and others can take to change it. Best of luck.
How's that public info? It's like this only in my town. Plus, MA court ruled that even zip codes are personally identifiable information.

krol

I hate to tell you this, but most information like this was easily available in MA even before the internet. Your community is required by State Law M.G.L. Chapter 51, Section 4 to have an annual census.

In the MA city I grew up in, residents could get a copy of a census book that had name, year of birth, address, occupation, of all adult residents. My mother made a point of keeping a copy in the kitchen.
Well, that's also wrong I think. But I have my name on my mailbox so it's not a high concern. But I would never put my name on my car.

justalayman

I don’t disagree with the intent here of the op. Basically it allows me to look up owners of anybody’s car. We used to have to schmooze cops to obtain owner id before. Being able to look up owners names can allow for some person that is pissed at some driver that drives slower than they wish to harass them (or worse).

The problem I have is this that op stated;

I don't really believe in simply calling them and prefer to use a more formal approach.
Op apparently wants something more than having the situation addressed. He’s welcome to hire an attorney who will do anything (ethical) the op wants as long as op pays him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">