• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Just as an FYI: Defamation is not a criminal issue its a civil one. No one can be arrested for defaming someone. They can be sued for monetary damages if their defamation causes harm to the person, but they cannot be arrested. A police officer should not be expressing an opinion on a potential defamation case.
What I have bolded above is true for Pennsylvania but is (perhaps surprisingly) not true for all states. A few states still have criminal defamation laws - and, although not enforced/enforceable in most states, they are still used in a couple of states in a way similar to disturbing the peace laws.

LdiJ

What I have bolded above is true for Pennsylvania but is (perhaps surprisingly) not true for all states. A few states still have criminal defamation laws - and, although not enforced/enforceable in most states, they are still used in a couple of states in a way similar to disturbing the peace laws.
Interesting...although I cannot really wrap my head around a correlation between criminal defamation and disturbing the piece.:confused:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Interesting...although I cannot really wrap my head around a correlation between criminal defamation and disturbing the piece.:confused:
Brandishing a placard accusing someone in office of doing A, B or C has in the past been used to at least support an arrest for disturbing the peace. Think along the lines of protesters.

quincy

Brandishing a placard accusing someone in office of doing A, B or C has in the past been used to at least support an arrest for disturbing the peace. Think along the lines of protesters.
Right - any defamatory speech that works to create a public disturbance.

Most criminal defamation laws were found to be unconstitutional when challenged. These laws were repealed in the majority of states, are unenforceable in other states that still have them, and were reworded in a handful of states to concentrate more on the act that is criminalized rather than the words.

Arrests, jail time and fines are all possible penalties for violating criminal defamation laws.

Just Blue

OP was not defamed though. What was said about her is true. The ex is a nasty jerk.But if that were illegal the White House would have a different administration.

quincy

OP was not defamed though. What was said about her is true. The ex is a nasty jerk.But if that were illegal the White House would have a different administration.
Right. I was simply correcting a generalized statement.

The most I see here is a possible privacy invasion - publication of private facts. But there is no defamation when what is communicated is true (with a few VERY RARE exceptions).

ecmst12

She's repeating true information that you made the mistake of revealing to her and then letting her know that she can hurt you with it. Not defamation and not illegal, so not really anything you can do about it. Infertility is a painful thing, but as long as she knows she can get to you by bringing it up, she's going to keep doing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">