• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concussion received from bar bouncer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbbennet

I was recently denied entry to a bar on the grounds that I had had too much to drink. I protest mildly, turned away and was pushed from behind by the bouncer down a flight of concrete stairs. I was knocked unconscious and taken to the hospital in an ambulance. In the end the doctor told me a concussion and it took 11 staples to close the gash in my skull. I have been in pain for a week and I am wondering if I have any legal recourse. I have no health insurance and I'm sure this is going to cost me a mint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Nick

justalayman

did you happen to report this attack to the police?

generally your recourse would be to sue them. Something such as this should fit within the limits of small claims court.

Mass_Shyster

If you claim you were pushed from behind, then you cannot also claim that you saw the bouncer push you. In any event, the bouncer will likely claim that you tripped down the stairs in your drunken stupor.

You failed to mention your state, so there's no telling what your small claims limit is, but in many states, an ambulance ride and an emergency room visit could easily exceed the limit on small claims court.

nbbennet

police involvement

Multiple police showed up on the scene because I was unconscious for quite a long time and it became a huge commotion. So I figure they made a report, however since I didn't regain consciousness untill I reached the hospital I could not say for sure. If I sued through small claims court would I file against the bar or their insurance company?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Multiple police showed up on the scene because I was unconscious for quite a long time and it became a huge commotion. So I figure they made a report, however since I didn't regain consciousness untill I reached the hospital I could not say for sure. If I sued through small claims court would I file against the bar or their insurance company?
Was the bouncer from the bar acting on behalf of the insurance company? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">