• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite demand for payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

No, it's not. I haven't heard anything further from the attorney at this point.
The family has up to three years to file a personal injury claim so you still have some waiting time to see if a suit is filed against you.

I am not sure what the family's purpose is in continuing to make demands when you have made your position clear, or why the family is delaying in filing a civil action. In your particular described case where there apparently has been no further medical treatment sought for the child, it does not appear that the delay will be of any benefit to them and could, in fact, harm their case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The family has up to three years to file a personal injury claim so you still have some waiting time to see if a suit is filed against you.
The injured party is a minor and, as such, has up to 3 years after he reaches the age of majority to file a suit. By my figuring, that gives him somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 years.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIII/TitleV/Chapter260/Section7

quincy

The injured party is a minor and, as such, has up to 3 years after he reaches the age of majority to file a suit. By my figuring, that gives him somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 years.

Ah, right. Well, then. freeusername has some additional waiting time. :)

Ah, right. Well, then. freeusername has some additional waiting time. :)
For Pete's sake, I hope it's not that long!

I'm not sure they do have that long. It's the parents who are bringing the action, and I'm not clear that it's on his behalf as such. They are seeking monetary compensation for money they paid out, at least as far as the medical claims go. It doesn't really matter since I can't control that.

I am also baffled why they are waiting so long, particularly as one would think they want the money sooner rather than later. Perhaps their lawyer has told them they may not get what they're asking for if they actually file a claim. Who knows. At least I know I've done the right things and have done my best to try and resolve this.

quincy

I'm not sure they do have that long. It's the parents who are bringing the action, and I'm not clear that it's on his behalf as such. They are seeking monetary compensation for money they paid out, at least as far as the medical claims go. It doesn't really matter since I can't control that.

I am also baffled why they are waiting so long, particularly as one would think they want the money sooner rather than later. Perhaps their lawyer has told them they may not get what they're asking for if they actually file a claim. Who knows. At least I know I've done the right things and have done my best to try and resolve this.
There does not appear to be much you can do but wait to see what the family does.

If you have the opportunity later, it would be nice if you could post back and let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I'm not sure they do have that long. It's the parents who are bringing the action...
They do have that long to bring suit. Contacting an attorney is not the same as filing suit. The parents can choose (on behalf of their minor child) to bring suit against you at any point up to the minor's 18th. birthday. After that, the child has an additional 3 years.

They do have that long to bring suit. Contacting an attorney is not the same as filing suit. The parents can choose (on behalf of their minor child) to bring suit against you at any point up to the minor's 18th. birthday. After that, the child has an additional 3 years.
Thanks for the information. There's really nothing I can do about it so won't worry. I will continue to hope it's settled sooner rather than later, but there is nothing I can do other than what I've done.

Maybe something new

I haven't heard anything else, but an old neighbor just texted me there is a letter taped to the door of my old building from the sherriff's office. I can only assume it's related
What should I do?

adjusterjack

I haven't heard anything else, but an old neighbor just texted me there is a letter taped to the door of my old building from the sherriff's office. I can only assume it's related
What should I do?
Go get it.

They'll find you anyway, sooner or later, and get you served.

This isn't going to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">