• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite demand for payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

Aww man I was hoping this was the thread where I denounced all dogs.

Thanks for the memories!

Yes, but....

I am actually on vacation so cannot go get it. I guess I will have my neighbor mail it to my current address. Or maybe even mail it to me here.

What sort of a letter would the sheriff's department be sending me if it is about this situation?

quincy

I am actually on vacation so cannot go get it. I guess I will have my neighbor mail it to my current address. Or maybe even mail it to me here.

What sort of a letter would the sheriff's department be sending me if it is about this situation?
Thank you for the update. It is not what I expected your update to say.

The notice posted on your door could have nothing to do with the dog bite but you can have someone retrieve it and send it to you and you could contact the court to see if a suit has been filed against you.

You have a limited amount of time to respond to a summons/complaint so you will want to act fast.

Good luck. I hope your next update has positive news.

I can have my neighbor mail it to me out here that's not a problem. From what people are saying it seems that would be my best course of action.

Where would I search for a court date?

And yes I was hoping for a different kind of update as well. Who knows maybe I will have to start a new thread if this is something altogether different. Ha ha.

Last edited:

quincy

I can have my neighbor mail it to me out here that's not a problem. Some white people are saying it seems that would be my best course of action.

Where would I search for a court date?

And yes I was hoping for a different kind of update as well. Who knows maybe I will have to start a new thread if this is something altogether different. Ha ha.
*I assume the bolded was auto correct and unintentional.

You can contact the court to see if a legal action has been filed against you. The Court probably has a website.

*edit to add: What I bolded was due to a talk-to-text error and not intentional. freeusername said it should have read "what people are saying ..." I don't know what happened to the post with her explanation ... ?

Last edited:
*I assume the bolded was auto correct and unintentional.

You can contact the court to see if a legal action has been filed against you. The Court probably has a website.

*edit to add: What I bolded was due to a talk-to-text error and not intentional. freeusername said it should have read "what people are saying ..." I don't know what happened to the post with her explanation ... ?
Thanks, I edited the original post.

I did search of my local district court and found something was filed in the middle of February. Three things on the same day.
1. Statement of damages.
2. Complaint filed.
3. Appearance filed by attorney.

The case status is "open."
The disposition is "pending."

There does not appear to be any further information online. What do I do now?

quincy

I did search of my local district court and found something was filed in the middle of February. Three things on the same day.
1. Statement of damages.
2. Complaint filed.
3. Appearance filed by attorney.

The case status is "open."
The disposition is "pending."

There does not appear to be any further information online. What do I do now?
I suggest you get ahold of whatever was taped to your door as soon as possible and read what it says. If there was proper service, the proof of service would be recorded by the court. Proof of service needs to be be filed with the court within 5 days of service.

You could try calling the court and speak to the clerk.

Good luck.

My neighbor got home and the letter is gone. I'll have to call the courthouse tomorrow.

This is not a fun way to spend vacation.

I did speak to the court this morning, I was served notice of damages. They were able to give me the number of the law office.

I called the law office, apparently there is a new attorney on the case but in the same firm. I gave them my correct address and they will re-serve me. He told me they are suing me "for damages just under $25,000." I confirmed the medical bills are the same, he said "just over $1100." I let him know I offered to pay the medical bills several times and he said, "Yes, but since that was rejected they are suing you."

Since I am away until the end of next week I won't actually see the notice until then.

quincy

I did speak to the court this morning, I was served notice of damages. They were able to give me the number of the law office.

I called the law office, apparently there is a new attorney on the case but in the same firm. I gave them my correct address and they will re-serve me. He told me they are suing me "for damages just under $25,000." I confirmed the medical bills are the same, he said "just over $1100." I let him know I offered to pay the medical bills several times and he said, "Yes, but since that was rejected they are suing you."

Since I am away until the end of next week I won't actually see the notice until then.
Thank you for the latest update, freeusername.

Once you receive the complaint, and depending on how much over the actual $1100 they are demanding, you might want to go over your answer to the complaint, and your defense, with an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">