• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer beats up employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windchime

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Boss antagonizing a fight with worker.
Worker walks away.
Boss follows worker and continues to antagonize worker.
Worker leaves building.
Boss follows worker outside throws a swing and misses.
Worker throws a punch and hits boss.
Boss throws another swing and misses.
Worker throws another punch and hits boss.
Boss charges worker, slams workers back on truck and dents truck with workers back.
Worker wraps arms around back of boss's neck and squeezes boss tight up against his chest.
Boss bites worker in his neck and chest.
Both fall to ground, worker hits head on concrete and is knocked out.
Boss punches worker repeatedly in head while he is unconscious.
Worker is taken to hospital, has a concussion and memory loss.
Police officer goes to hospital and tries repeatedly to make worker sign something telling him if he signs it he wont go to jail.
Worker repeatedly refuses to sign and tells office he has no memory of what happen.
Office still tries to make worker sign paper, worker still refuses to sign, officer finally leaves.

On the scene.

Boss tells officer security cameras outside don't work. That is a lie they do work as stated by other employee's
Boss tells officer he has four witness's worker started it. That is a lie witness are coming forward and saying boss started it.

Side note:

Boss is also a reserve police officer.

So what actions should the worker take and should he get a lawyer?

Just Blue

Worker walks away.
Worker leaves building.
Boss charges worker, slams workers back on truck and dents truck with workers back.
Worker wraps arms around back of boss's neck and squeezes boss tight up against his chest.
Police officer goes to hospital and tries repeatedly to make worker sign something telling him if he signs it he wont go to jail.
Worker repeatedly refuses to sign and tells office he has no memory of what happen.
Office still tries to make worker sign paper, worker still refuses to sign, officer finally leaves.

On the scene.

Boss tells officer security cameras outside don't work. That is a lie they do work as stated by other employee's
Boss tells officer he has four witness's worker started it. That is a lie witness are coming forward and saying boss started it.

Side note:

We don't do homework.

quincy

Worker walks away.
Worker leaves building.

On the scene.

Side note:

Both the boss and the worker should hire attorneys - and the worker should look for another job.

quincy

No, family member. I wrote it like that as to not insert my personal feelings.
Thank you for answering my question.

The family member needs an attorney if charged with assault and battery.

Beyond that, I suggest the boss and worker go separate ways - and learn to settle disputes with words and not fists. I do not see that either behaved very maturely.

Good luck to your family member.

windchime

Thank you for answering my question.

The family member needs an attorney if charged with assault and battery.

Beyond that, I suggest the boss and worker go separate ways - and learn to settle disputes with words and not fists. I do not see that either behaved very maturely.

Good luck to your family member.
Just to clarify the worker tried to leave more than once and was followed and pushed repeatedly by the boss. The two punches he did connect with were in self defense. Had he really wanted to fight back the out come would have been much different. The sole purpose for the worker wrapping his arms around his boss's neck was to stop the boss from taking swings at him because he didn't want to continue to punch the boss to back him off. In all fairness what do you do when someone keeps coming at you and wants to fight you.

Lets not forget there are going to be medical bills to pay from someone who is obviously unemployed.

I am also concerned about the actions of the officer threatening him (the victim) with going to jail if he didn't sign that paper. What the officer should have been doing is asking him if he wanted to press charges. Keep in mind the boss is a reserve officer and lied to responding officers when questioned on the scene. That information was given to me from other employees.

And there I go putting my personal feelings in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In other words, you weren't there and you don't know of your own knowledge what happened; you only know what you've been told by others.

Your family member should expect to lose his job. It is legal for him to lose his job over this. If he is charged with anything he should hire an attorney. The attorney will be able to tell him what, if any, legal action he is able to take. He should not hesitate to consult with one if he feels the need. I don't know what more you expect from a message board.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am also concerned about the actions of the officer threatening him (the victim) with going to jail if he didn't sign that paper.
What was the "paper"?

What the officer should have been doing is asking him if he wanted to press charges. Keep in mind the boss is a reserve officer and lied to responding officers when questioned on the scene. That information was given to me from other employees.
You weren't there (at either place), so you don't know what actually happened. In fact, I would suggest that you stop talking to potential witnesses about this, lest you be accused of witness tampering.

quincy

Just to clarify the worker tried to leave more than once and was followed and pushed repeatedly by the boss. The two punches he did connect with were in self defense. Had he really wanted to fight back the out come would have been much different. The sole purpose for the worker wrapping his arms around his boss's neck was to stop the boss from taking swings at him because he didn't want to continue to punch the boss to back him off. In all fairness what do you do when someone keeps coming at you and wants to fight you.

Lets not forget there are going to be medical bills to pay from someone who is obviously unemployed.

I am also concerned about the actions of the officer threatening him (the victim) with going to jail if he didn't sign that paper. What the officer should have been doing is asking him if he wanted to press charges. Keep in mind the boss is a reserve officer and lied to responding officers when questioned on the scene. That information was given to me from other employees.

And there I go putting my personal feelings in.
You support your family member and that is fine. But your family member needs a criminal defense attorney to help him with his defense to charges filed against him, should charges be filed.

It sounds like both parties carried the dispute too far. Your family member's attorney will go over the facts and advise him.

Your family member should look for another job, and preferably find one soon.

Good luck to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">