• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Race horse caused car accident in '94 - resulting death in 2011. Wrongful death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkingndayton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi all - I've been wondering about this situation since my father passed in September 2011:

He was on his way home from work when he hit (2) racehorses that were in the middle of the road (fence was broken). This accident caused him to be a quadriplegic until his death in 2011 at the age of 59.

I feel the lawyers took advantage of his situation and ultimately got him to accept a $200k settlement when the insurance on the racehorse was around $1Million. It was very obvious who was at-fault in this situation.

Anyway, he passed in 2011 and his life was cut short because of this accident. What, if any, options do we have and does this qualify as a wrongful death?

Thanks for any input and response.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi all - I've been wondering about this situation since my father passed in September 2011:

He was on his way home from work when he hit (2) racehorses that were in the middle of the road (fence was broken). This accident caused him to be a quadriplegic until his death in 2011 at the age of 59.

I feel the lawyers took advantage of his situation and ultimately got him to accept a $200k settlement when the insurance on the racehorse was around $1Million. It was very obvious who was at-fault in this situation.

Anyway, he passed in 2011 and his life was cut short because of this accident. What, if any, options do we have and does this qualify as a wrongful death?

Thanks for any input and response.
By your own words your father settled. You have no case.

I am sorry for your loss.

tranquility

While father settled, that would not prevent others who suffered a loss from suing if appropriate. However, not only would this be past the statute of limitations, but also, by common law, death has to follow within a year and a day from the event to be actionable.

rkingndayton

Sorry for your loss but it's not at all obvious who was at fault given what you have posted.

Anyway, there is nothing more you can do now.
"The parties involved were in agreement who was at fault in this situation" - maybe that's how I should have stated that....(not sure why that's even up for analysis but hey)

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">