• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Bus Concussion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My seven year old daughter suffered a concussion while riding the school bus home from school and suffered partial memory loss. The driver was unaware of the incident until I noticed my daughter's disorientation when she exited the bus. Needless to say, I'm livid this incident occurred to my daughter and blame the driver. I'm still trying to collect information on how and when this occurred but find this difficult to do when questioning a bunch of seven year olds and their parents. Of course the bus driver denies anything out of the ordinary occurring. How should I handle this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My seven year old daughter suffered a concussion while riding the school bus home from school and suffered partial memory loss. The driver was unaware of the incident until I noticed my daughter's disorientation when she exited the bus. Needless to say, I'm livid this incident occurred to my daughter and blame the driver. I'm still trying to collect information on how and when this occurred but find this difficult to do when questioning a bunch of seven year olds and their parents. Of course the bus driver denies anything out of the ordinary occurring. How should I handle this?
Did your daughter state what happened? Was it on the bus or at school? Did it happen at recess? How do you know she suffered a concussion while riding the school bus?

Did your daughter state what happened? Was it on the bus or at school? Did it happen at recess? How do you know she suffered a concussion while riding the school bus?
My daughter did not recall what happened because of the memory loss. When I picked her up at the bus stop I noticed the disorientation i.e. my daughter not recognizing her schoolmates, not recognizing her daily school bus, not knowing where she was coming from or going to. At this point I immediately rushed her to the hospital where she was examined. The doctor told us she experienced a concussion and a indentation in her skull.

OHRoadwarrior

Lobby your school to buy new buses with the recent seat belt mandate or lobby a retro-fit. Aside from that, it does not appear you have a claim of any sort. The bus meets current DOT standards without them. Only 6 states mandate them.

Last edited:

davew128

My daughter did not recall what happened because of the memory loss. When I picked her up at the bus stop I noticed the disorientation i.e. my daughter not recognizing her schoolmates, not recognizing her daily school bus, not knowing where she was coming from or going to. At this point I immediately rushed her to the hospital where she was examined. The doctor told us she experienced a concussion and a indentation in her skull.
How do you know it happened on the bus?

Lobby your school to buy new buses with the recent seat belt mandate or lobby a retro-fit. Aside from that, it does not appear you have a claim of any sort. The bus meets current DOT standards without them. Only 6 states mandate them.
I understand. However, I'm concern that this bus doesn't have a attendant. Especially for this particular group of passengers.

justalayman

I understand. However, I'm concern that this bus doesn't have a attendant. Especially for this particular group of passengers.

are you inferring there is something special about this group of passengers?

does your state require an attendant for "this particular group of passengers?"

are you inferring there is something special about this group of passengers?

does your state require an attendant for "this particular group of passengers?"
Nothing special. I don't particularly know if the state requires a attendant for a bunch of first-graders but I'll look this up.

then why the statement? The mention shows you believe there is something about "this particular group of passengers" that makes you believe there should be an attendant. What would that be?
The age and the number of passengers. A driver can only do so much with a group of first graders in an emergency. This time around this only involved my daughter, god forbid something more serious should happen. Thus, my statement about a attendant being needed.

OHRoadwarrior

I have never heard of a school district supplying an attendant for a bus load of regular school children of any age. The law certainly does not require it.

The age and the number of passengers. A driver can only do so much with a group of first graders in an emergency. This time around this only involved my daughter, god forbid something more serious should happen. Thus, my statement about a attendant being needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">