• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DougB

I need to find out what liabilties I could be facing in starting my new business. I have started a estate management service for homeowners, second homes, corporate houses. The service inspects the home on a weekly basis looking for potential problems before they arise plumbing, electrical etc... I also provide service verification to the owners regarding housekeeper, gardeners etc.. How can I best protect myself.

Thanks

Nynavey

Maybe you should consider protecting yourself from the sharp 'wit' of one of the regulars posters here, and consider visiting some of the other law forums...

Sorry you didn't get your question answered. I'm afraid I can offer no help either.

Good luck.

HomeGuru

Nynavey said:
Maybe you should consider protecting yourself from the sharp 'wit' of one of the regulars posters here, and consider visiting some of the other law forums...

Sorry you didn't get your question answered. I'm afraid I can offer no help either.

Good luck.
My response: with a comment like that, why would anyone here help out this Nynavey person who is too cheap to hire his/her own attorney?

Last edited:

Nynavey

Cheap and clueless

HomeGuru said:

My response: with a comment like that, why would anyone here help out this Nynavey person who is too cheap to hire his/her own attorney?
Perhaps I'm the only person reading these forums who doesn't get your brand of humor, but many of your comments, while helpful at times, seem very condescending and unhelpful at others. Are senior members the only ones privy to that sort of behavior? I thought perhaps if you could dish it out, you could take it.

As for being too cheap to hire a lawyer, at $150+/hr...not hiring one until you're sure there's good reason is hardly considered cheap, IMHO.

By this statement, one would think perhaps you consider all of Freeadvice.com's forum readers to be 'too cheap' to hire a lawyer. After all, we are all here for basically the same reason-free legal advice. I guess we are all too cheap to hire an attorney too...?

HomeGuru

Re: Cheap and clueless

Nynavey said:

Perhaps I'm the only person reading these forums who doesn't get your brand of humor, but many of your comments, while helpful at times, seem very condescending and unhelpful at others. Are senior members the only ones privy to that sort of behavior? I thought perhaps if you could dish it out, you could take it.

As for being too cheap to hire a lawyer, at $150+/hr...not hiring one until you're sure there's good reason is hardly considered cheap, IMHO.

By this statement, one would think perhaps you consider all of Freeadvice.com's forum readers to be 'too cheap' to hire a lawyer. After all, we are all here for basically the same reason-free legal advice. I guess we are all too cheap to hire an attorney too...?
**A: read below to find out how off you were.

HomeGuru

DougB said:
I need to find out what liabilties I could be facing in starting my new business. I have started a estate management service for homeowners, second homes, corporate houses. The service inspects the home on a weekly basis looking for potential problems before they arise plumbing, electrical etc... I also provide service verification to the owners regarding housekeeper, gardeners etc.. How can I best protect myself.

Thanks
My response to Nynavey:

Read the red letters above and see if the writer has followed posting instructions as noted by listing the applicable State in the post. CA is where the writer is from, but there is no State listed of where the business will be or is currently located.
My humorous comment to the writer may appear to be a joke but only to simple minds such as yours.
My comment was made to continue the thought process and continue the motion of right and left brain activity. For my reason on this website is to not only just provide advice but also to teach those that ask for help, how to teach themselves. It is too easy to simply ask a question and sit back and wait for a response. It is much harder to think, research and then post a question after much thought has been given in the request for advice. It is my quest here to possibly see that feeble minds strive to turn into strong minds. What do strong minds do? They reserch, think, ask for advice and and help find their own answers. I attempt to encourage people to think
and find the answers themselves.
Take the subject post as an example. The writer stated a new business (estate management) and asks "what are the liabilities I could be facing?"
My response was to get this writer to think, as prior to starting this business, the writer should have already worked this out.
In addition, not providing the State and requesting a blanket general question shows evidence of less thought on the part of the writer. Thus leaving the bulk of the work on the responder.
My response was specific and for a very reason. Is the writer fishing here? To help the responder, the writer should have listed the specific liabilities that he/she was concerned about.
There are too many left unknowns.
Was there a question about liability with respect to security of the watched and inspected premises, theft/damage to property, lack of liability insurance or exclusions of coverage, fire caused by faulty electrical, flood caused by broken piping, employees hurt on the job, vehicle used in connection with the business, damage to premises by workers, no occupational, contractor's or inspector's license to do such work whereby such a license is required, third party referrals and service contractors such as home cleaners, painters, roofers, handypeople, building and code violations, health and safety issues, environmental hazards......

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">