• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Submitting a false lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrmcnultyiii

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I saved my nephew thousands of $$ on computer work. I told me he would help tear off and shingle my roof. He blew me off many times. I ended up having my wife's uncle help me tear off. I called my nephew and told him that the roof was torn off and if he was going to help me shingle. He came over and helped me shingle for 5 hrs one day and 2 hrs the next. He realized my wife's uncle and I could do the rest of the work so he left and never helped finish the roof. To make a long story short, I stopped calling him because he blew me off and didn't help me finish the roof. My wife's uncle helped me finish the main shingling but I had to find someone else to help me cap and do the ridge vent. I stopped calling my nephew because he basically screwed me. He is now mad at me because I won't talk to him anymore so he threatened me and said if I don't pay him $300.00, he would put a lien on my home for $3000.00. He owns a shady roofing company and did order the supplies for me which I paid in full on arrival. Other than that, it was a verbal agreement to help me with my roof because of all the time I spent on his computer recovering lost data from his business. He in essence is filing a false lien. I have several voice mails with him threatening me of the lien and I have several witnesses stating that he did agree as family to help with my roof. What should I do?

I'd let it simmer down and have another relative talk sense into him...and remind him that a lien is not something he should file if the amount is in dispute like that.

Also, let him file the lien. It is only $3K and what is the wrose thing he could do then? Certainly if there is a dispute over the amount, if anything is even owed, you can present it to the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">