• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceitful toll road company in CO extorting from me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seeeker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.
Last week I got the "Second Notice" from a collection agency about an apparent use of a toll road three years ago. I never got the first notice, or any bill whatsoever about the supposed use of this road. If I did I would have settled up immediately.
I called their customer service and they referred me back to the collection agency and would not negotiate.
On Google Reviews this company gets 1 star - there are MANY stories of people stating the EXACT same story as me. They never get any original bills about the toll, then months or years later they are getting bills from collection agencies demanding outrageous penalties.
I have no memory of using this road, which is fine, but I definitely NEVER received any bills. Never had the opportunity to settle in the first place.
The most confusing thing is that there are apparently two billing toll companies working the same road. I used this toll road a few times several years ago, and I had an online debit account to automatically deduct my toll amount. But this company says they are a different entity. It's completely opaque, it doesn't even make sense. I am actually confused about who these people are.
I feel this is entirely wrong and they are deceiving and scamming people.
If they think I am sending them $91 for a $4 toll they are hallucinating.
What are my options?
What kind of lawyer would I call?
Thank you for any guidance.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.
Last week I got the "Second Notice" from a collection agency about an apparent use of a toll road three years ago. I never got the first notice, or any bill whatsoever about the supposed use of this road. If I did I would have settled up immediately.
I called their customer service and they referred me back to the collection agency and would not negotiate.
On Google Reviews this company gets 1 star - there are MANY stories of people stating the EXACT same story as me. They never get any original bills about the toll, then months or years later they are getting bills from collection agencies demanding outrageous penalties.
I have no memory of using this road, which is fine, but I definitely NEVER received any bills. Never had the opportunity to settle in the first place.
I feel this is entirely wrong and they are deceiving and scamming people.
If they think I am sending them $91 for a $4 toll they are hallucinating.
What are my options?
What kind of lawyer would I call?
Thank you for any guidance.
It's $91 - just pay it and be done.
Lawyer? Any lawyer you'd hire would cost you more than that to point out what seat you can sit in while he talks to you.

seeeker

It's $91 - just pay it and be done.
Lawyer? Any lawyer you'd hire would cost you more than that to point out what seat you can sit in while he talks to you.
Thank you I know using a lawyer would be more expensive, but can't a lawyer send my own threatening letter to this toll company? Show them I'm serious?
I am NOT being extorted for $91 for an incident that I would have fairly settled years ago.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Thank you I know using a lawyer would be more expensive, but can't a lawyer send my own threatening letter to this toll company? Show them I'm serious?
I am NOT being extorted for $91 for an incident that I would have fairly settled years ago.
It would cost you more than $91 to have a lawyer send a letter. And you yourself seem to concede that you may owe the money -- why not offer them a settlement and be done with it?

seeeker

It would cost you more than $91 to have a lawyer send a letter. And you yourself seem to concede that you may owe the money -- why not offer them a settlement and be done with it?
I guess that is probably my best option. But keep in mind - this IS extortion. They have a documented (by user complaints) history of billing errors, not sending bills then months or years later, demanding outrageous sums of money. There are many details to keep in mind - this is a stupid toll road, signs are not clearly marked, small and confusing. People are being billed hundreds, thousands of dollars for a <$10 toll that they never got a bill about in the first place. It's all wrong. And I should still send them more than is fair. How can we live in a society where my best option is to give in and send them extra money. That is saying they win. I am not naive, I know this is how the worlds works.There must be a way I can get a fair exit. They have a D- rating from BBB. It's no secret. There have been news stories on TV about this very company. I really don't want to just send them any more than necessary.

To all of you responders who say "Just sends them the $91." They are EXTORTING me. I don't owe them $91,. How about I send you a bill for $91 and just make something up. You bought a coffee today. You owe me $91 for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

To all of you responders who say "Just sends them the $91."? They are EXTORTING me. I don't owe them $91,. How about I send you a bill for $91 and just make something up. You bought a coffee today. You owe me $91 for that.
I would throw your "bill" away and laugh at it with my friends. Why? Because you're not the government and there is really nothing you can do about it.

Look, you're spitting in to the wind here. Yes, I know that you're upset, and that "they" shouldn't be doing this...but again, it's $91. You can pay that and move on...consider it another story to tell when you're with your buddy having a few brews. You're getting terribly worked up over a problem that's easily solved.

LdiJ

I would throw your "bill" away and laugh at it with my friends. Why? Because you're not the government and there is really nothing you can do about it.

Look, you're spitting in to the wind here. Yes, I know that you're upset, and that "they" shouldn't be doing this...but again, it's $91. You can pay that and move on...consider it another story to tell when you're with your buddy having a few brews. You're getting terribly worked up over a problem that's easily solved.
While I see your point, the entire collection agency system in this country is broken and if everybody keeps paying them "because its only 91.00" then there is no hope that there will ever be any reform.

Zigner

While I see your point, the entire collection agency system in this country is broken and if everybody keeps paying them "because its only 91.00" then there is no hope that there will ever be any reform.
You're right - and I suppose this guy could be the catalyst that causes a massive reform of the way every collection is done in the US. Heck, he might even herald a future in our society in which money is no longer even used, as envisioned by Star Trek. I doubt it, but ya never know!

Just Blue

You're right - and I suppose this guy could be the catalyst that causes a massive reform of the way every collection is done in the US. Heck, he might even herald a future in our society in which money is no longer even used, as envisioned by Star Trek. I doubt it, but ya never know!
My hope for a Star Trekian future died 11/16....(taps is playing....)

seeeker

Hey you guys are pretty funny! I didn't know I was on a comedy forum. I guess this is what you get for "Free Advice."

There must be a way to challenge them short of calling expensive lawyers. Can I require/demand them to prove that I was even ON their highway? This apparent road use was from three years ago . I just got the Second Notice from a collection agency last week. Why would it take them almost three years to send me a toll bill?

Zigner

Hey you guys are pretty funny! I didn't know I was on a comedy forum. I guess this is what you get for "Free Advice."

There must be a way to challenge them short of calling expensive lawyers. Can I require/demand them to prove that I was even ON their highway? This apparent road use was from three years ago . I just got the Second Notice from a collection agency last week. Why would it take them almost three years to send me a toll bill?
Some people like to make their lives harder and some like to make their lives easier. Just sayin'...

seeeker

Point taken but dude, this is a scam. There are numerous news stories on the web about this company. I have to at least challenge them. You don't seem to have any principles?

Zigner

Point taken but dude, this is a scam. There are numerous news stories on the web about this company. I have to at least challenge them. You don't seem to have any principles?
I have principles...including my own health and my own finances. If I could pay $91 to make such a situation go away with no further stress, then I'd do it in a heartbeat. Heck, you're obviously wiling to pay much more, so have at it.

seeeker

Actually I'm not willing to pay much more at all. But sometimes people do take the harder road to make a point. On principle. I would happily pay more if I could submerge them in a bathtub and smile into their eyes as they slowly drown.
But I'm aiming at paying nothing at all. So it sounds like you wouldn't even call them to try to get a reduced amount. You would just write a check and pay it. Maybe you get used rather often without even realizing it.

Zigner

Actually I'm not willing to pay much more at all. But sometimes people do take the harder road to make a point. On principle. I would happily pay more if I could submerge them in a bathtub and smile into their eyes as they slowly drown.
You really aren't that special. They don't care and there's nothing that you will do that will even be a blip on their radar screen.
But I'm aiming at paying nothing at all. So it sounds like you wouldn't even call them to try to get a reduced amount. You would just write a check and pay it. Maybe you get used rather often without even realizing it.
You already said that you called them and weren't able to get anywhere with them. Had you come on without saying that, my answer would have been to call them and work your way up the chain there. Since you already claimed to have done that, there was no reason to rehash it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">