• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking Spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IllinosMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

What construes an on-street handicap parking spot in a residential area?

Backstory: Out of the blue our neighbor had someone paint a blue outline which she claims in a handicap spot. There is room for 3 cars to park on our block but her outline covers 1/2 of 2 spots. There is room to park 1/2 car behind her and 1 1/2 cars in front of her. She only uses the blue outline spot when there is snow or ice. The rest of the time she parks in her driveway. There is no signage or symbol painted.

I am ok with her having a dedicated spot, just not where she has it. Prior to the outlined spot she would park in the last spot and I would ask my guests to not park there. As it is now anyone that comes to visit has to park 2 blocks away while the blue outline spot sits empty.

She doesn't have any medical equipment that would require additional room. When she does park in the blue spot she walks to the back of her car down to the corner so she has increased her steps.

When I asked why she put it where she did she said that is where she wants it. I am really confused because I thought we had a good neighbor relationship.

If this isn't the correct forum please let me know.

FlyingRon

What do you mean she "had someone paint it?" Do you mean she just hired someone to come out and paint the space or that she petitioned the municpality and they came out and installed a disabled space (such as done in the city of Chicago). In that case, you're out of luck, and she probably didn't have any say in the positioning or the size of the marked out space. The city does what they want once they receive the request.

HRZ

CHeck local rules and regs ...they may require express approval of each such desIgnated spot ...and home paint jobs don't count ....but if it's a legit space...it may well sit empty ..

justalayman

If this is in Chicago, it doesn’t appear to be a valid HC space. That city installs signs and prints the permit number of the authorized user on the sign.

www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/fin/supp_info/revenue/parking_forms/residential_disabledparkingsigns.html

I haven’t found anything similar on a statewide level. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just I didn’t find one

If you live in a city other than Chicago I suggest you contact city hall and inquire as to whether they have such a program.

Given the state rules on marking HC spaces includes the use of a sign, I suspect if there is no sign it is not a valid HC parking space.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IllinoisMom, it makes a lot of difference here whether she just hired someone to go down and paint the space, or whether she successfully petitioned the town to do it. So before we go too much further, can you please clarify which of the two it is?

IllinosMom

I am not in Chicago but a small rural town. I am not sure who painted it as I was not home when it happened. When another neighbor asked she walked away. I will give city hall a call on Monday. I don't know why I didn't think to call them. Thanks for your help.

Just Blue

I am not in Chicago but a small rural town. I am not sure who painted it as I was not home when it happened. When another neighbor asked she walked away. I will give city hall a call on Monday. I don't know why I didn't think to call them. Thanks for your help.
Just to clarify this is a publicly owned street?

HRZ

You may need to persevere thru multiple layers of bureaucrats even in a small town who have no clue what you are asking .

Take pictures!

HRZ

IF there is no official looking sign on about a 4' min post ..that is a major clue it is not an official space ...but the time to sort it out is BEFORE somebody gets a whopping ticket by local police .

BTW if I go out and start painting the public street ..on a bad day I might get cited for defacing of public property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">