• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket defense if you are not the registered owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhatCat

Hi, please help. I have a ticket for expired city sticker (Chicago), but im not the owner of the car. The owner is my friend, and he wants me to take the responsibility for this ticket. I have read that if im not the owner, it could be used as a defence in court. But at the hearing the judge said that its not a ground for defence and decided for the city. What went wrong and how can i appeal this case?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hi, please help. I have a ticket for expired city sticker (Chicago), but im not the owner of the car. The owner is my friend, and he wants me to take the responsibility for this ticket. I have read that if im not the owner, it could be used as a defence in court. But at the hearing the judge said that its not a ground for defence and decided for the city. What went wrong and how can i appeal this case?
The sticker was expired.

The only real question is... who is responsible for paying the fine: you or the person that the car is registered to.

So, how did your name end up on this ticket, and not your friend? Were you borrowing it?

adjusterjack

You parked it, you pay it.

You have no grounds for an appeal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was the ticket issued in YOUR name? If not, then that's the problem. YOU can't defend this, nor can YOU appeal it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What went wrong and how can i appeal this case?
I'm not familiar with Chicago parking tickets, but normally a parking ticket is issued to a vehicle not a driver, since they're usually not present. If that is the case then the ticket is your friend's problem and you shouldn't have even gone to court.

So, was the ticket issued to you personally? Were you present?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">