• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Article 556.1 document needed for office of Motor Vehicles in order for expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rgproductions

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am trying to expunge a 4th offence DWI charge, and I need to provide an article 556.1 to the office of motor vehicles. What is this form and how do I obtain it?
I have asked the DMV and clerk of court and neither could help with this question. The article 556.1 is a document that I have to provide to the office of motor vehicles in order for them to send me a certified document stating that I am currently in compliance with them. The DA said that once I provide him with this letter, that he would have no objection in proceeding with expunging the charge. This is what I found on the internet as the Tranmittal for that needs to sent to the Office of Motor Vehicles in order to get their certified letter of compliance. 'In lieu of the fingerprints, court minutes and proof of the requirements as set forth in the Code of Criminal Procedure Article 556.1, A copy of the certified letter received from Office of Motor Vehicles indicating that all of the required documents were previously filed in conjunction with the requirements of Code of Criminal Procedure Article 894 and are on file may be submitted.' Completed Transmittal Form

adjusterjack

I also found the transmittal form:

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=962205

What I don't get is if you have already complied with Article 556.1 and already submitted those documents to the DMV at some previous time, the OMV would have a record of you doing so. So why can't the DMV issue you the certification just for going up to the DMV clerk and asking for it?

I don't find any kind of request form.

Have you already submitted:

a certified copy of the court minutes, original/certified copy of fingerprints and proof of the requirements
TO the OMV at some time in the past?

PayrollHRGuy

I found that form as well. What I don't under stand is that Code of Criminal Procedure Article 556.1 is titled Plea of guilty or nolo contendere in felony cases; duty of court.

rgproductions

I wasn't aware that I have already complied with Article 556.1. When I called the OMV they said that they would need my Original Fingerprints, a document showing the court minutes, and a certified letter stating that I complied with Code of Criminal Procedure in Article 556.1. These are the 3 things that the DMV said I need to send to them in order for them send out a certified letter stating that I have been compliant with the LA DMV.

rgproductions

I may have to go to one of the DMV offices and ask them about this. They may be able to provide me with the letter that I need to send to the Main office of the OMV in Baton Rouge, LA.

PayrollHRGuy

Code of Criminal Procedure Article 556.1 is not something YOU comply with. It spells out the duty of the court when a person pleads guilty or no contest.

The DMV is likely not the best place to look for legal help.

adjusterjack

I wasn't aware that I have already complied with Article 556.1. When I called the OMV they said that they would need my Original Fingerprints, a document showing the court minutes, and a certified letter stating that I complied with Code of Criminal Procedure in Article 556.1. These are the 3 things that the DMV said I need to send to them in order for them send out a certified letter stating that I have been compliant with the LA DMV.
OK.

Then YOU have to provide all of those things TO the OMV along with that transmittal form and $50.

Then the OMV will expunge the OMV records so that the 4th DUI won't appear on your driving record. I think that's what all that is about.

And once you provide all that stuff, then you get the certified letter from the OMV that you have complied and you take that to the DA to get the criminal file expunged.

Of course, I could be wrong about all that, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">