• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No one has established the child doesn't have enough credits and that this isn't voluntary. That's unreasonable to ask.
OP : "I've really no doubt he may not have the credits to graduate" really makes it sound likely that the kid doesn't have enough credits to graduate.

And that's not solely the Mom's fault. Some kids just need more help than others. Some kids are daydreamers that just aren't wired to take academics seriously, and don't get serious until their own failure slaps them in the face - all the tutors in the world won't help until they are ready to learn.

LdiJ

Does he have an IEP or 504 plan ?

I have no doubt a parent could tweak the system to postpone graduation for a semester ...but proving that is inconsistent with the support requirements may be a very unproductive exercise ...and it may be son lacks the requirements to graduate ..have you checked his school records ?

That said...I'd want to read all my sons school records on point . A phantom student may be another issue..but that's not what you post ...not yet anyway And I'm aware of students who have moved on to college but are carried on HS rolls .
He is 18. The parent certainly could not "tweak" the system if the child was opposed or could graduate with his class.

HRZ

Laymans reaction...if is going to be cheaper to pay child support for one more term than it is to wage an uncertain legal quest about if Mom is stretching out graduation . IN OPs shoes Is most certainly seek copies of all his recent school records ....and yes an IEP might matter a lot, if a child has completed his IEP he is entitled to graduate ...but even in the face of twisting the system rules , if such is going on...it's a poor quest to undertake ......and b the time the dust settles he will be 19.....now if come fall he is not enrolled or in property attendance ..repost. OP stay on top of his school records ...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Laymans reaction...if is going to be cheaper to pay child support for one more term than it is to wage an uncertain legal quest about if Mom is stretching out graduation . IN OPs shoes Is most certainly seek copies of all his recent school records ....and yes an IEP might matter a lot, if a child has completed his IEP he is entitled to graduate ...but even in the face of twisting the system rules , if such is going on...it's a poor quest to undertake ......and b the time the dust settles he will be 19.....now if come fall he is not enrolled or in property attendance ..repost. OP stay on top of his school records ...
I'll add to this...if the OP fights this with no real legal basis to do so, it's entirely possible that he'll end up paying the legal fees for his ex as well as his own.

justalayman

Hence why HRZ's asking about the nature of the plan was a reasonable extension of the discussion and not impugning the other parent... who is not even a party to this discussion so worrying about their feelings seems a bit much...

I'm sorry, I find this extended high school a bit much and if op's son has enough to graduate, he should be out. I find this 'grow' language suspicious enough that asking for clarity about the status seems reasonable.

I'm not in the 'anything for the kids' crew. This is is thousands and thousands on an 18 year old.
18 year old who needs year 4.5 of HS - an explanation is required.
And the op should be discussing the matter with the school. It comes down to whether he has adequate credits to graduate now or not. If he doesn’t, dad keeps paying possibly until March 2019. If he does, op can attempt to argue with the courts that not graduating now is a personal choice as all requirements have been met and op has chosen to not graduate and the court should terminate child support due to that. .

The father should have investigated whether the child actually has the credits to graduate now before coming here.

I do see a statement by op that is a bit telling;

My total monthly bill is $2400, his allotment is $700. I have been fully prepared to fulfill this responsibility to him through June.
The “his allotment” is something I don’t understand but since when is child support a commitment to the child? Child support is (almost always) paid to the parent . (There are a few exceptions but the situation at hand doesn’t appear to fall under any of them.).

I hope he was prepared to fulfill his obligation to the child’s mother as that is who is owed child support.

LdiJ

And the op should be discussing the matter with the school. It comes down to whether he has adequate credits to graduate now or not. If he doesn’t, dad keeps paying possibly until March 2019. If he does, op can attempt to argue with the courts that not graduating now is a personal choice as all requirements have been met and op has chosen to not graduate and the court should terminate child support due to that. .

The father should have investigated whether the child actually has the credits to graduate now before coming here.

I do see a statement by op that is a bit telling;

The “his allotment” is something I don’t understand but since when is child support a commitment to the child? Child support is (almost always) paid to the parent . (There are a few exceptions but the situation at hand doesn’t appear to fall under any of them.).

I hope he was prepared to fulfill his obligation to the child’s mother as that is who is owed child support.
I wish that the OP would come back and clarify exactly what he meant by his bill being 2400.00 and the child's allotment being 700.00. I can see some potential issues for him but I do not want to go into that unless I am sure what he is talking about.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wish that the OP would come back and clarify exactly what he meant by his bill being 2400.00 and the child's allotment being 700.00. I can see some potential issues for him but I do not want to go into that unless I am sure what he is talking about.
I took it to mean $700 is CS, while the rest is SS.

LdiJ

I took it to mean $700 is CS, while the rest is SS.
Or, it could be that he believes that 700.00 is this child's allotment and the rest is for younger children, or he could be saying that his bills are 2400.00 and 700.00 of his bills are his child support...etc.

PayrollHRGuy

Or, it could be that he believes that 700.00 is this child's allotment and the rest is for younger children, or he could be saying that his bills are 2400.00 and 700.00 of his bills are his child support...etc.
That's how I read it. He never mentioned SS and he wrote 'my bill" not "my bills".

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, that's possible. Guess we can just wait to see if OP comes back...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">