• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice to Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

I received a notice to appear for a traffic stop that happened in January. The officers ran my plates: said my tags were expired, & i had no insurance at the time; also something about fraudulent insurance but i thought my mom paid my insurance up and it was good when i got the tags—anywho my plates were removed but I got a plate and insurance that same day and I have insurance now.

What should I do? I’m nervous.

quincy

I received a notice to appear for a traffic stop that happened in January. The officers ran my plates: said my tags were expired, & i had no insurance at the time; also something about fraudulent insurance but i thought my mom paid my insurance up and it was good when i got the tags—anywho my plates were removed but I got a plate and insurance that same day and I have insurance now.

Was your citation for a civil infraction or a misdemeanor?

Was your citation for a civil infraction or a misdemeanor?

I believe it’s a misdemeanor really not sure but the officer told me during the stop it was a civil infraction

quincy

I believe it’s a misdemeanor really not sure but the officer told me during the stop it was a civil infraction
You should find out whether it is an infraction or a misdemeanor. It makes a difference.

Look on your ticket at the boxes that are checked.

You should find out whether it is an infraction or a misdemeanor. It makes a difference.

Look on your ticket at the boxes that are checked.
Hi there’s no box saying either however it does say it is a civil case and failure to appear can result in...then goes on to list consequences

quincy

Hi there’s no box saying either however it does say it is a civil case and failure to appear can result in...then goes on to list consequences
Okay. A civil infraction.

Following are links to the laws on failure to have insurance and failure to have the vehicle registered.

Insurance, MCL 257.328: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-328

Registration, MCL 257.255: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-255

If you were uninsured and your car was unregistered at the time of the stop, you will have fines to pay and court costs but, if your car is now insured and registered, that should be it. Just make sure you take proof of insurance and registration to court with you when you go. And money.

I am not sure what you mean by fraudulent insurance.

And was the stop only because you had an expired tag?

Definitely appear in court! You do not want to miss your court date.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Okay. A civil infraction.

Following are links to the laws on failure to have insurance and failure to have the vehicle registered.

Insurance, MCL 257.328: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-328

Registration, MCL 257.255: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-255

If you were uninsured and your car was unregistered at the time of the stop, you will have fines to pay and court costs but, if your car is now insured and registered, that should be it. Just make sure you take proof of insurance and registration to court with you when you go. And money.

I am not sure what you mean by fraudulent insurance.

And was the stop only because you had an expired tag?

Definitely appear in court! You do not want to miss your court date.

Good luck.

I'm freaking out! Just left my Arraignment and was scheduled another court date! Like I said before I have insurance now but I’m am being charged for a misdemeanor!! And I need to be fingerprinted—why? I just want the case thrown out what should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The case isn't going to just be "thrown out" - it's a valid charge against you. I understand that you were mistaken, but the fact is that you were uninsured at the time. Since you are being charged with a crime, it would be wise to speak to an attorney.

quincy

I'm freaking out! Just left my Arraignment and was scheduled another court date! Like I said before I have insurance now but I’m am being charged for a misdemeanor!! And I need to be fingerprinted—why? I just want the case thrown out what should I do?
A misdemeanor charge was one of the possibilities when stopped for no insurance/no tags, which is why I asked you about the boxes checked on your ticket.

Because you are being charged with the misdemeanor instead of the civil infraction, you would be smart to have an attorney.

Although I would normally bet that an attorney could get the charge reduced, the "fraudulent insurance" you mentioned still puzzles me.

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
A misdemeanor charge was one of the possibilities when stopped for no insurance/no tags, which is why I asked you about the boxes checked on your ticket.

Because you are being charged with the misdemeanor instead of the civil infraction, you would be smart to have an attorney.

Although I would normally bet that an attorney could get the charge reduced, the "fraudulent insurance" you mentioned still puzzles me.

Good luck.
OP had commented in the initial post that s/he thought Mom had paid the insurance premium. My insurance sends out cards with the new expiration date prior to the premium payment due date. Of course, if I didn't pay the premium, that insurance card would not become valid, and if I presented it as proof of insurance, wouldn't that be fraudulent?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's possible that the "fraudulent insurance" charge is related to his mom not listing him as a driver in the household.

quincy

I don't know what the fraudulent insurance indicates.

But it is a bit unusual for the misdemeanor to be charged. The tickets for no insurance/no tags that are issued tend to be civil infractions.

Because of the high cost of car insurance in Michigan (the highest in the country), drivers often forgo insurance and take the risk of not being stopped or not being in an accident. In order to get the annual tags for your vehicle, however, you need proof of insurance.

So no insurance/no tags is a pretty common ticket - common because tags are colored by year and an out of date tag is easy for police to spot.

My best suggestion for Kirklacurt is to have an attorney. I would think the charge could be reduced but something else seems to be going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">