• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papernurse18

I have been working as a manager for a large group medical practice that was recently bought out by an equity firm. When I was hired it was explained I was to take them to the next level. The practice had no rules, pay inequities, nepotism and unfair practices to favorite employees. I implemented structure and some rules so it was not a complete shock at once to the system. I was no well liked by the employees because they liked the previous old school way of business where everyone was a family and best friends with the physicians.

The managing partner is my onsite boss and is very reactive and does not adhere to the new corporate rules. I share what the policy and or procedure is and she boldly ignores. She is reactive to staff members, has favorites and can be rude to staff members. I take all implementations to the providers for approval and made no direct decisions myself without physicians and or managing partner approval. Communications to the staff from the physicians came through me as I was the manager whether I agreed or did not agree with the decision.

Around Christmas time a group of employees called the corporate HR and complained I was not engaged with the employees because I would not participate in secret santa. Managing partner told me about this and was questioning all the staff about my management style while I was on vacation. When I returned I reached out to my corporate boss and asked for a transfer. Met with her and HR for 3 hours explaining I did not feel like I was performing well in this environment. They stated it is a tough spot to be in with taking over from a mom and pops practice to now corporate and I should maybe not try to perform at the high level I am always accustomed to. I also explained the employees gossip and twist things that I say to be things that are not true and causing a toxic environment. Also expressed my managing partner is inexperienced. I was too afraid to share more than that because of retaliation from managing partner. I was told there would be a promotion opportunity at the end of the year and I would be considered for this.

In March, a group of employees reached out to HR and asked for a meeting. My boss and HR met with the staff and told me after meeting my job was not in jeopardy. They did not share what the complaint was about. They instructed the employees to reach out to them directly with anything they have in regards to management after this meeting. HR rep stated things went from bad to worse and they called an independent HR attorney in to interview all staff.

I was never told what exactly was being investigated. After investigation, managing partner was demoted and I was asked to meet with my boss and HR to discuss the findings. I was told I was being let go because I could no longer effectively manage in this environment. The only things I was told as far as findings were things that the managing partner did. I tried to explain that these decisions were not ones that I made but were made by her. They scorned me for not sharing with the investigator. I stated I could not because I was not asked and I had no idea what was even being investigated. They also said I made fun of an employee's eye brows, called an employee fat, told the staff they could not come to me for anything, was mad because they went to HR and would not speak to people once they resigned. All of which is not true. Additional comments were that I gave aesthetic services to a pediatric patient which was the managing partner's daughter and a male patient which was in violation of company policy. These were not approved or even asked of me but directly approved by the managing partner.

I learned from another partner physician when corporate met with the physicians they said they could not fire the physician since she is 49% owner so I had to go.

I have had a stellar management history and a high performer at all previous jobs and was at this one until this happened. I still do not have any idea what I did wrong or what I could have done differently to prevent this from happening. I feel like it was a witch hunt. I never broke any HR laws and I followed all corporate policies and procedures. I am not sure how I got terminated for someone else's wrong doings. I am pretty sure I can not sue for this but is there any way to get my name cleared. I feel like my character has been totally assassinated.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I have been working as a manager for a large group medical practice that was recently bought out by an equity firm. When I was hired it was explained I was to take them to the next level. The practice had no rules, pay inequities, nepotism and unfair practices to favorite employees. I implemented structure and some rules so it was not a complete shock at once to the system. I was no well liked by the employees because they liked the previous old school way of business where everyone was a family and best friends with the physicians.

The managing partner is my onsite boss and is very reactive and does not adhere to the new corporate rules. I share what the policy and or procedure is and she boldly ignores. She is reactive to staff members, has favorites and can be rude to staff members. I take all implementations to the providers for approval and made no direct decisions myself without physicians and or managing partner approval. Communications to the staff from the physicians came through me as I was the manager whether I agreed or did not agree with the decision.

Around Christmas time a group of employees called the corporate HR and complained I was not engaged with the employees because I would not participate in secret santa. Managing partner told me about this and was questioning all the staff about my management style while I was on vacation. When I returned I reached out to my corporate boss and asked for a transfer. Met with her and HR for 3 hours explaining I did not feel like I was performing well in this environment. They stated it is a tough spot to be in with taking over from a mom and pops practice to now corporate and I should maybe not try to perform at the high level I am always accustomed to. I also explained the employees gossip and twist things that I say to be things that are not true and causing a toxic environment. Also expressed my managing partner is inexperienced. I was too afraid to share more than that because of retaliation from managing partner. I was told there would be a promotion opportunity at the end of the year and I would be considered for this.

In March, a group of employees reached out to HR and asked for a meeting. My boss and HR met with the staff and told me after meeting my job was not in jeopardy. They did not share what the complaint was about. They instructed the employees to reach out to them directly with anything they have in regards to management after this meeting. HR rep stated things went from bad to worse and they called an independent HR attorney in to interview all staff.

I was never told what exactly was being investigated. After investigation, managing partner was demoted and I was asked to meet with my boss and HR to discuss the findings. I was told I was being let go because I could no longer effectively manage in this environment. The only things I was told as far as findings were things that the managing partner did. I tried to explain that these decisions were not ones that I made but were made by her. They scorned me for not sharing with the investigator. I stated I could not because I was not asked and I had no idea what was even being investigated. They also said I made fun of an employee's eye brows, called an employee fat, told the staff they could not come to me for anything, was mad because they went to HR and would not speak to people once they resigned. All of which is not true. Additional comments were that I gave aesthetic services to a pediatric patient which was the managing partner's daughter and a male patient which was in violation of company policy. These were not approved or even asked of me but directly approved by the managing partner.

I learned from another partner physician when corporate met with the physicians they said they could not fire the physician since she is 49% owner so I had to go.

I have had a stellar management history and a high performer at all previous jobs and was at this one until this happened. I still do not have any idea what I did wrong or what I could have done differently to prevent this from happening. I feel like it was a witch hunt. I never broke any HR laws and I followed all corporate policies and procedures. I am not sure how I got terminated for someone else's wrong doings. I am pretty sure I can not sue for this but is there any way to get my name cleared. I feel like my character has been totally assassinated.
What state is this in?

Wrongful termination doesn't mean you were fired but didn't deserve it. Instead, it refers to being fired for a reason prohibited by law (like being fired BECAUSE you are in a protected class). And there is no law to force an employer to "clear your name." What you can do now is polish your resume and file for unemployment.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
All states are "At Will" to one extent or another.

If you're interested in how to overcome a firing on your resume, google "ask a manager". The site's author has some really good advice on job hunting, resumes, cover letters and what to do in less-than-ideal departures.

papernurse18

All states are "At Will" to one extent or another.

If you're interested in how to overcome a firing on your resume, google "ask a manager". The site's author has some really good advice on job hunting, resumes, cover letters and what to do in less-than-ideal departures.
Thank you! I will do that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Florida. "At Will" state. Lucky me.
49 out of 50 states are at-will and the 50th recognizes the at-will doctrine in some situations. It's hardly just Florida.

And no, this is not a wrongful termination. Possibly unfair, but not illegal.

commentator

Quote: "I never broke any HR laws and I followed all corporate policies and procedures."

The problem is, there are very very few HR laws. And following all corporate policies and procedures does not make you safe from being terminated. The company does not have to follow its own policies and procedures, nothing forces them to do so legally. As you said, it's an at will state, as most are, though most people do not realize how few rights and protections they really have in our workplace until it happens to you.

Of course it's painful but then, it will be an opportunity for you to change to a much less frustrating work environment. Sometimes we are forced to make changes that turn out to be better for us than we expected. And a simple "It appears the people involved were not quite ready for the progress they thought they desired," with no bitterness and no dwelling on the situation is what I suggest as you move onward.

Be ready willing and able to discuss all the positive experience you acquired in this position, all the things you learned and how you benefited from working there. Positive energy is your best friend. Forget to mention what complete jerks they may have turned out to be or that one thing you learned was that they can dump you on your face in spite of your trying to follow all the rules and do what they asked you to do.

Hope you have filed for unemployment insurance until you can find a new position. Though your state is pretty low in weekly benefits, and your process is as deliberately unhandy as possible (thanks, Gov!) you are entitled to the benefits if you are out of work through no fault of your own. The employer would have to show that they had a valid, misconduct reason to terminate you to keep you from drawing unemployment, and how they respond to inquiries from the unemployment system is a pretty good indicator of how they intend to respond to inquiries in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">