• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor balcony noise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

To answer some of your questions, owners have more clout. Tenants often have a second step -- going through their landlords, therefore a two step process and *two* venues to deal with. As for the friendly note, it only mentioned how loud the noise was and that we we're a group of people who live here and want to get along in a peaceful, friendly way. As for whose responsibility for the door, it depends. The owner and renter will have to decide, but obviously the renter has an OCD problem and is angry about the noise complaint (hence, banging on someone's door at 4 a.m. We're only asking him not to open and close that dang thunderous door 50 times a day. I'm sure it'll be resolved. It may just take time. I'm sure this isn't the first time he had problems with neighbors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To answer some of your questions, owners have more clout. Tenants often have a second step -- going through their landlords, therefore a two step process and *two* venues to deal with. As for the friendly note, it only mentioned how loud the noise was and that we we're a group of people who live here and want to get along in a peaceful, friendly way. As for whose responsibility for the door, it depends. The owner and renter will have to decide, but obviously the renter has an OCD problem and is angry about the noise complaint (hence, banging on someone's door at 4 a.m. We're only asking him not to open and close that dang thunderous door 50 times a day. I'm sure it'll be resolved. It may just take time. I'm sure this isn't the first time he had problems with neighbors.
Renter or owner, the guy's not doing anything wrong by opening and closing HIS door. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for you to grasp this.

If I were to receive a note that said that from a neighbor, I would likely take it as a veiled threat. Instead of sending a passive-aggressive note, why don't you offer to do something to help?

Just Blue

You don't know that he knocked on the door. Stop presuming he did this.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
.... but obviously the renter has an OCD problem and is angry about the noise complaint (hence, banging on someone's door at 4 a.m. ....
But, Delores -- it's not at all obvious that he has OCD. It's your guess, but it is not an established fact. But let's say for the sake of argument that he does, indeed, suffer from OCD. How about showing some compassion for someone with a mental illness?

And the same thing with your unsubstantiated statement that it was HIM who banged on the door. You have zero proof it was him. You have your assumption, but that's it.

Why not try TALKING to him? Be neighborly. Be kind. You might be surprised at the results.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My point about the note was less WHAT it said, but HOW it was said.

As for your assumption that he has OCD.... would you like him to assume things (and post them all over the Internet) about the old busybody biddies living in his building? Something to think about...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Maybe if someone were actually *friendly* - you know, show up at his door with a fresh loaf of banana bread and a smile, introducing themselves and welcoming him to the building/community - maybe that would have better signaled a warm, peaceful, and friendly group.

If a couple of you did that, you'd be able to casually comment about the problem door - maybe in a nonaccusatory way. As in, "Boy, the balcony doors are so annoying! I keep on having to [oil it, or whatever you think would help it open/close smoothly]."

Instead, you're all smoldering from afar and gossiping, theorizing about who he is without making any effort to meet him.

Not every problem requires legal action to resolve.

jeleica

Maybe try talking to him and see if there is anything that could be done (e.g. using the doors more gently/new sliders etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">