• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my girlfriends daughter without getting marrying her in the state of Ohio? So that I too have legal rights to take her to the hospital etc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because, generally speaking, that's how it works in unmarried situations - both parents must give up their rights for a third-party adoption. You would be wise to speak with an attorney since your situation is different. (Adoption is rarely a DIY project...)
She had her there is no father because it was a donor
And you are unmarried lesbians.

Get married. Then adopt.

I'd be more terrified about the limbo you'd be in if your partner of over 10 years died - because you are not the (legal) parent. I realize that marriage was not an option 10 years ago, but it is now, so get the piece of paper. (You don't need the party if you don't want it.)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG, would a POA suffice for the OP? Or perhaps a written, notarized statement granting the right to seek medical care for the child?
a power of attorney would suffice for medical care. WRITTEN permission would not in many places in Ohio...

And you are unmarried lesbians.

Get married. Then adopt.

I'd be more terrified about the limbo you'd be in if your partner of over 10 years died - because you are not the (legal) parent. I realize that marriage was not an option 10 years ago, but it is now, so get the piece of paper. (You don't need the party if you don't want it.)
I am confused as to where you see they have been together for over ten years?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
a power of attorney would suffice for medical care. WRITTEN permission would not in many places in Ohio...

I am confused as to where you see they have been together for over ten years?
My bad. Somehow I had it in my head that the child was 9. Must be conflating it with another thread.

However, since they've been together long enough that OP was included in the decision to use artificial insemination, they really should get married, like yesterday.

Perhaps OP will return and explain her aversion to getting married. If she's committed to bringing up the child together with the mother, then get the piece of paper. I get how she might have an aversion to having a traditional wedding ceremony, but it doesn't have to be that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">