• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Speed Limit Sign Question..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael7330

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Is there a law that states there can be no other signage posted on a Speed Limit sign?

Michael7330

Traveling from a 45mph section there is a "BEGIN" 35mph sign that you can still read the old sign underneath that was a "reduced speed ahead sign" (it looks like a double image). There are also other signs posted below the speed limit sign. I was timed approx. 200 ft after the "begin" sign, and was wondering if there a laws regarding sign quality.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you see, read, and understand the meaning of the "BEGIN 35mph" sign?

adjusterjack

How can I upload an image? It keeps asking me for a link.
Go to google maps, find the location, drag and drop the little orange man on to the street, navigate until you see the sign, then post the link in the body of your next message. You don't need to use the insert a link feature.

HRZ

a drop from 45 to 35 does NOT require a prior sign alerting one to reduced speed ahead.

PennDot has published standards for signs and lots of other stuff...and a substandard sign is basis to require replacement but the regs are clear a substandard sign is not a defense as to violation of the sign requirement .

IF and that's a long shot, if the sign shows both wordings , then by requlation a reduced speed ahead sign must be min of 500 ' ahead of the new limit ..
And in that context , 200' is too close ....but a poor quality sign won't be a winning point for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">