• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing state claim against contractor, am I shooting myself in the foot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heman2017

What is the name of your state? This is in Florida

Long story short, I hired a contractor, local company in florida, to remodel 2 bathrooms, new shower walls, tubs and glass doors. after 3 times in my home and shoddy work, I am in the process of filing a claim with the state as I believe the company is not licensed as the number they have in their emails does not exist. one of the questions asks if permits were pulled for the job. to my knowledge, no permits were discussed or pulled. Am I shooting myself in the foot by telling the state this information? Online states that the entire job may have to be removed (at my expense) if it needs to be inspected. I Want the contractor to be punished if he isn't licensed, but not trying to shoot myself in the foot at the same time.

HRZ

Tough call...but in my lay view you have more leverage the sooner they are forced off the job IF you are correct they are not holding required licenses nor permits pulled ....often permits are owners ultimate responsibility so be sure of your facts

adjusterjack

Do you have a written contract?

Does the contract specify that the contractor pull the permits? Many contractors will pull the permits as a courtesy to the customer. If that was specified in the contract, you might be ahead of the game.

By the way, the time to verify a contractor's license status is before you hire him. But I guess you know that now.

heman2017

Do you have a written contract?

Does the contract specify that the contractor pull the permits? Many contractors will pull the permits as a courtesy to the customer. If that was specified in the contract, you might be ahead of the game.

By the way, the time to verify a contractor's license status is before you hire him. But I guess you know that now.
the contractors contract was real vague. nothing about pulling permits. this was in 2016 when this begun so its hard to remember the discussion. as for the license, the company has a website, over "200 reviews on their site", so I kind of assumed they were a legit business.

heman2017

Tough call...but in my lay view you have more leverage the sooner they are forced off the job IF you are correct they are not holding required licenses nor permits pulled ....often permits are owners ultimate responsibility so be sure of your facts
job was done along time ago, the problem I faced was a lot of things not done correctly that contractor states is correct, plus a lot of shoddy work. since I financed the job, my only resolution was to sue which was far to expensive or work it out with the contractor which has gotten me no where

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">