• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family emergency when i am ordered to turn myself into jail!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

You’re setting the kid up for additional charges and jail time. If the relative just passed the op should not rush out the door until speaking with their attorney and seeking their advice. With no knowledge of why op is going to jail and op’s criminal history it may not be that serious to no show the turn in date. On the other hand it could lead to some very serious charges and long term incarceration.
Agreed, but OP stated that not going is not an option. I am not advising OP to leave, but it appears he or she has already made that decision.

Just Blue

To me, it seemed like a hypothetical question - almost as if the OP were trying to find a reason to not turn himself in. In any case, and as was mentioned above, the death of an extended family member is not (generally) an emergency.
It seemed that way to me as well.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I need to get to my sister that's is not an option...I will just call jail, attorney and take my chances...
Great. Like, your sister isn't going through enough with the loss of her child. You're going to stress her by getting yourself in further trouble.

Doing the right thing is an option. And the right thing is to turn yourself in and skip the funeral.

Eekamouse

I don't understand why a family member dying has anything to do with your obligation to turn yourself in as directed to by a court? Why you think this gives you a pass on your jail time is beyond me. Even if it was your own kid dying, it still wouldn't change anything.

quincy

I am suppose to turn myself in by specific day and time. 7 hours before I get horrible news that my 18year old nephew in Idaho passed away, I need to go now...how do I deal with this? I am sentenced to 30 days in Jail SWAP is ok. Is there something I can file, do I just call
Although you might have resolved this already, you can call the Sheriff Department's SWAP office - the one that granted you participation in the work alternative program - and arrange for a different check-in date so you can attend the funeral.

Because you have been determined already to be a low-risk non-violent offender, there might be no problem with you delaying the start of your community service/manual labor assignment to leave the state.

But you definitely should not just take off without permission. That is a bad idea.

I am sorry to hear about the loss in your family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">