• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex- got rid of my personal belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.Ortiz

What is the name of your state? Bethlehem, PA.
My Ex and I broke up about 7 months ago. I asked a few times for a date and time as to when I can get my belongings. The few times I asked she was always busy or away. The relationship after the brake-up got a bit heated and still I respected even after getting cursed at. She then mentioned she will give me a date and time to get my belongings. She waited a whole month then sends me an email tellling me I have a week to get my things and that's what her lawyer told her to do. But it just so happen that the date she wanted me to get my belongings landed the same date as my daughters graduation. I mentioned I can pick it up next following weekend and then she says " you have a week or I'm getting rid of it" I've asked for my belongings and she now says she got rid of them. I'm extremely sad by this as she also had posetion of my computer which has my kids birth videos. She also had mentioned that as long as I paid her cellphone she can hold my belongings in which I have. WRONG MOVE. It wasn't till recent that is clearly we want detachment. Now she doesn't want to share with me as to we're my belongings are and I don't know what to do if she got rid of them. Sorry I know it's long, I hope someone can advise me. Thank you in advance

adjusterjack

You should have taken your stuff the DAY you moved out. I'm sure you'll have a reason why you didn't but see where it got you.

You are free to sue her for the USED value of your property and see how that goes.

Lesson for the future: Don't live with girlfriends.

Mr.Ortiz

We live and we learn
You should have taken your stuff the DAY you moved out. I'm sure you'll have a reason why you didn't but see where it got you.

You are free to sue her for the USED value of your property and see how that goes.

We live and we learn, that's what life is about.

xylene

She did more than was necessary to inform you legally in regards to disposing of your property.

A computer is a small, portable item item and you should have taken it immediately.
You could have carried it in your arms.
You could have picked it up on the way to the graduation.

You didn't because you were trying to manipulate and control her, it ddn't work and she owes you nothing.

If you are still paying any of her bills, just stop.

Mr.Ortiz

She did more than was necessary to inform you legally in regards to disposing of your property.

A computer is a small, portable item item and you should have taken it immediately.
You could have carried it in your arms.
You could have picked it up on the way to the graduation.

You didn't because you were trying to manipulate and control her, it ddn't work and she owes you nothing.

If you are still paying any of her bills, just stop.
There's more than just a computer, like studio equipment and more. I've been the one asking as to when I can get my things for months now. It's called making things difficult. No one is manipulating anything, She lives in a different state so things have to be planned, not give me a week. And I would need a Uhaul not just let me stop and get a computer. The computer is very valuable to me though. So if I have evidence of email and text that I've been trying to get my things. Does that still give you the right to get rid of my things because you just finally decided you wanted to give it to me on your terms and I couldn't make it to the date provided due to a special event.

LdiJ

There's more than just a computer, like studio equipment and more. I've been the one asking as to when I can get my things for months now. It's called making things difficult. No one is manipulating anything, She lives in a different state so things have to be planned, not give me a week. And I would need a Uhaul not just let me stop and get a computer. The computer is very valuable to me though. So if I have evidence of email and text that I've been trying to get my things. Does that still give you the right to get rid of my things because you just finally decided you wanted to give it to me on your terms and I couldn't make it to the date provided due to a special event.
Again, you left the state without taking your things with you. Again, for the sake of others who may read this thread, never leave the place you are living unless you pack up all your belongings and take them with you.

HRZ

AS an aside...who owned or leased the unit in Bethlehem Pa
I'm not so sure that legally if you leave a bunch of expensive stuff with me, creating a bailment , I can unilaterally set unrealistic pick up conditions or unilaterally just toss your stuff because you missed the pickup date I divined it to be .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She lives in a different state
Well, actually.... YOU live in a different state, unless she picked up and moved - something you didn't mention. Seriously - you moved out and left the state. Would it not have made sense to deal w/your stuff before leaving the immediate area?

As for the videos... no back-up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">