• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceptive and misleading martial arts membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pete58drxl

I joined a martial arts facility in Portland OR and hated it after a week because it wasn’t what was promised nor advertised. After taking 5 classes, I felt ripped off at the false advertising that I would get a high calorie burn workout from each class. I decided within a week a half to cancel my membership but the owner is resisting letting me out of my contract and wants to collect on 12 months despite my desire to never come back to this place again. I have only made one payment of $174 and wrote and submitted an official letter of membership cancellation and sent it to the owner and the independent 3rd party billing company. I also deactivated the debit card number attached to my account so they can’t charge me any more than what I have paid. The contract terms are $174/ month with a $200 initiation fee. I signed a 12 month contract without reading it. The rep didn’t go over the details or stipulations of the contract nor did he give me a copy of it. To this day, I still do not have a copy of what I signed and they deceptively made sure I wasn’t given a copy. I signed it without being given any important details about cancellation policy, etc. I’m kicking myself in the butt for it. The sales guy was good and very convincing, yet misleading, deceptive with false advertising and now I’m stuck in a contract. I looked online and noticed I could file a complaint with the state attorney general’s office and better business bureau. Yet...despite doing this, I feel like the owner is going to hold me to this contract to this place I never want to come back to. I read the online reviews of this facility and read all about the horror stories of past customers who tried to get out of the contract due to legitimate reasons like having to move away, financial hardship, health issues, etc. If they don’t cancel my contract and continue to bill me and I don’t pay, will this will eventually end up in collections? Could this mess up my credit? I didn’t give them my social security, yet could this still come back and bite me in the butt? I know collection agencies really play hardball and are very persistent but it would be easy to block their phone calls and emails once they start. Is there something I could do? I have already sent in an official cancellation letter of the membership I signed up for to the owner of the school and independent 3rd party billing company. I also asked the billing company to let me know what I need to do to settle my account. I’m sure they’ll reply 12 months of payments and the initiation fee. I have already given them $174 for taking five classes and to me this is more than fair, but this contract I signed(which they never gave me a copy of) could be iron clad. We’ll see. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Peter

quincy

Signing a contract without reading its terms was a mistake that could be a costly one for you.

You can have the contract personally reviewed in its entirety by an attorney in your area but, depending on all facts, you could find yourself sued for the balance owing.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

I signed a 12 month contract without reading it.
Well, you'd better read it now and find out how much this mistake will cost you.

The rep didn’t go over the details or stipulations of the contract
That was up to you to read it and understand it.

nor did he give me a copy of it
He didn't have to GIVE you a copy. You had it in your hands. You could have kept it in your hands until you made a copy. You've got a cell phone with a camera in it, don't you?

I looked online and noticed I could file a complaint with the state attorney general’s office and better business bureau.
Good luck with that.

If they don’t cancel my contract and continue to bill me and I don’t pay, will this will eventually end up in collections?
Yes, more than likely.

Could this mess up my credit?
Yes.

Any help would be appreciated
I suggest you start by telling those people you aren't going to pay another nickel without being handed a duplicate of your contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">