• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roach Infestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kowgirl

Texas: my son and his wife vacated their appt June 4th. They couldn't afford the rent anymore. They've had problems with roaches and called management, who proceeded to do nothing. He just got a final statement in the mail and he's being charged (pro-rated) for a new refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and microwave due to German roach infestation. He doesn't have proof that he previously complained about the roaches because he did via telephone instead of filing it online. Does he have a chance to fight this? He doesn't have $1500!

LdiJ

Texas: my son and his wife vacated their appt June 4th. They couldn't afford the rent anymore. They've had problems with roaches and called management, who proceeded to do nothing. He just got a final statement in the mail and he's being charged (pro-rated) for a new refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and microwave due to German roach infestation. He doesn't have proof that he previously complained about the roaches because he did via telephone instead of filing it online. Does he have a chance to fight this? He doesn't have $1500!
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I am uncertain how a roach infestation would require the replacement of appliances. It would probably be best for your son to sign up here and ask his questions himself, so that there is less chance of an error in translation.

Kowgirl

No translation issue, I have the statement. They called it "German Roach infestation" and consider it a health hazard. They are giving them only 10 days to pay or dispute. I am having him call an attorney tomorrow, but I thought I'd try and get a few opinions here. My son isn't a real "go-getter" and wants to roll over and pay them, so he doesn't have to deal with it. I am telling him that management there are bullying him. I'm not making this up and know exactly how ridiculous it sounds.

Slim to none.
The appliances you have mentioned are a supermarket to a roach if they are not kept clean.
.._____________________
~ The only thing in life achieved without effort is failure.

Gail in Georgia

Did your son and his wife break any lease and simply move out because they could no longer afford the rent? If so, he simply needs to pay this and be glad they are not suing them for more.

And yes, I have had to toss out appliances due to a tenants roach infestation. Even professional spraying (several times over) did not cure the issue.

Management is smart enough to not charge for the FULL cost of these replacement appliances but rather the pro-rated cost of such. They know legally what they are doing.

Gail

Kowgirl

No ma'am, they didn't break the lease, they gave the required 30 day notice. The complex does regular pest control, plus my son called and told them about the roaches. The apt complex left a note on their door a month before they left and said they were going in on May 18th to do an interior inspection. I would think they would have seen those little boogers crawling around somewhere if there was an "infestation". I would have thought a professional cleaning crew could have came in and steamed/disinfected any contaminated surface. The appliances were in good, working condition. I just think they wanted new appliances for any new tenants. I looked up the reviews for this complex and 90% of them are about this management person, saying that she is rude and unreasonable. The complex was fine, but thought she was intolerable. I'm sure the complex keeps her around because she bully's tenants into paying for most everything....there is NO compromise with her.

Gail in Georgia

I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound rude but unless you were on the lease it doesn't mean a hill a beans legally what you think (unfortunately). This issue is up to your son and his wife to argue with management about.

They can pay or not; if not they can wait to see if this goes into collections or into a lawsuit by management. If the latter it is hoped that they took pictures of the condition of the appliances at move out to dispute the argument they needed replacement. It is always good to take lots of pictures at move out to show the condition of the rental unit should such issues come up later. This would be evidence to show a court that no; the appliances were in good working order and not infested with roaches and thus they should not be billed for this.

On the other hand, if your son and his wife believe it is simply easier to pay this money and be done with it so they can move on without further concern then that may be the best option for them.

I wish them good luck.

Gail

HRZ

IF there are roaches in one unit...odds are they have a few thousand cousins in next door units too....has son asked neighbors? IF that part of complex as a whole has roach problems it may shed some light on if it's a management problem or a tenant problem. ...my crystal ball just won't focus

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">