• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependents already claimed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Missy2258

My ex-husband claimed both of my kids without my permission. They are not his kids, they do not live with him He was also audited and has not even received a refund. I demanded that he amend his return and take my kids off. He did. I just filed my return because he just amended last month. I mailed my return off with all of my supporting documents, birth certificates, social security cards, school records, medical records and utility bills. Will I also be audited or will the IRS view my documents and I will receive my refund? Do I have to wait until his audit is closed or his amendment is complete to expect a refund?

Thanks

LdiJ

My ex-husband claimed both of my kids without my permission. They are not his kids, they do not live with him He was also audited and has not even received a refund. I demanded that he amend his return and take my kids off. He did. I just filed my return because he just amended last month. I mailed my return off with all of my supporting documents, birth certificates, social security cards, school records, medical records and utility bills. Will I also be audited or will the IRS view my documents and I will receive my refund? Do I have to wait until his audit is closed or his amendment is complete to expect a refund?

Thanks
Normally (at least for the last 20 years or so) the IRS will go ahead and pay out the refund on the second return filed with the same children on it, and then will investigate later.

You should not have included any of the supporting documents with your filing. I hope that you kept copies of everything that you sent in because you may have to send them in again. You generally do not send supporting documentation (other than W2s and other items with withholding) until or unless the IRS asks you for it.

You should receive your refund without a problem, but it may take a while.

Missy2258

Normally (at least for the last 20 years or so) the IRS will go ahead and pay out the refund on the second return filed with the same children on it, and then will investigate later.

You should not have included any of the supporting documents with your filing. I hope that you kept copies of everything that you sent in because you may have to send them in again. You generally do not send supporting documentation (other than W2s and other items with withholding) until or unless the IRS asks you for it.

You should receive your refund without a problem, but it may take a while.
Ok Thanks. I thought mailing in the documents would make the process easier. I didn't know. They'll probably trash them, but I do have copies

Christina loc

I know in California that too also happened in my case with my son's father. He didn't have ANY relationship or contact with him and also claimed him on taxes but I also sent the supporting documents..birth certificate, SSI card.. basically everything proving he's my dependant. I was never audited. He did manage to get away with it even though I reported him. I was told by the IRS that there are not enough agents to facilitate the number of tax fraud cases submitted so their hands are tied..there's just not enough agents to go around. That's however just my case as all everyones case varies depending on what you submitted to the IRS. My refund was received within a few months so it will come just hang in there.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I know in California that too also happened in my case with my son's father. He didn't have ANY relationship or contact with him and also claimed him on taxes but I also sent the supporting documents..birth certificate, SSI card.. basically everything proving he's my dependant. I was never audited. He did manage to get away with it even though I reported him. I was told by the IRS that there are not enough agents to facilitate the number of tax fraud cases submitted so their hands are tied..there's just not enough agents to go around. That's however just my case as all everyones case varies depending on what you submitted to the IRS. My refund was received within a few months so it will come just hang in there.
It might however, have come a little faster if you had not sent in the documents ahead of being asked. They have triggers that give them a sense of who might be the one who should not be claiming the children, and that is the person who is asked to provide proof first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">