• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garbage Pile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CN2005

What is the name of your state? New York

We own the last property on a private right-of-way that services three other houses. Our neighbors in the next-to-last house have created a junk heap (originally just brush, but they've started adding household garbage in it as well) along the right-of-way. They've located the pile off to the side of (but not in) the right-of-way, and directly on the line between our two properties. Where it's situated can't be seen from their house, but we have to drive past it every time we come and go, and it's gotten so big that it can now be seen from our house. It's unsightly and could possibly affect our property value.

I'm going to broach the subject with them, but I'd like to know what - if any - legal doctrine might be on our side. I know that I'll be asking them to remedy something that's on their property. I'd just like to be prepared, as they have a history of being uncooperative with other neighbors in our community.

Many thanks.

xylene

Disposing of household and construction waste improperly is a serious matter to the NYSDEC, and they are who you should contact instead of confronting the offenders yourself.

CN2005

It’s primarily brush and timber, with some lumber and a minimal amount of other degradable waste (I.e. nothing that would create an environmental concern). Would NYSDEC have any regard for something like this?

HRZ

Old preservative treated lumber is an environmental hazard ...and pile of wood refuse may be a fire hazard and an attraction for rodents

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">