• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom and 7 month baby stuck with dirt syringe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I am still trying to imagine how one gets stuck by syringes on a changing table. Much less having one poke a child near the eye. If they were somehow ON the changing table, wouldn't that have been obvious when one pulled it down?

If the local McD's supplied a wipes container for some reason (an expensive proposition since it could easily be taken away), I can see how it might be possible to reach a hand into a closed container and get stuck ... though it's not common to dispose of used needles needle up, usually it's needle down, and why a junkie might choose to put it in a wipes container and not the trash is confusing. Same thing if the wipes were alcohol swabs to clean off the table after a changing.

Yeah, it's been almost two decades since I have had to change any diapers, but I'm just not seeing how this is likely.
The needles were in the table-wipe dispenser near the changing table.

So, apparently, were drugs and a spoon.

CdwJava

The needles were in the dispenser.
Still ... hard to imagine blindly reaching in, not seeing a needle, having the needle upturned and poking up, and also having it ... what? Fly out and strike the baby near the eye and not just the parent's finger?

I have seen junkies dispose of syringes in a great many places, but why the wipes? Trash is easier, allows one handed dropping, and doesn't require any manipulation as well as lack of discovery.

quincy

Still ... hard to imagine blindly reaching in, not seeing a needle, having the needle upturned and poking up, and also having it ... what? Fly out and strike the baby near the eye and not just the parent's finger?

I have seen junkies dispose of syringes in a great many places, but why the wipes? Trash is easier, allows one handed dropping, and doesn't require any manipulation as well as lack of discovery.
Perhaps those at the methadone clinic next to the McDonald's liked to store their supplies in the McDonald's restroom - and might have figured their drugs and needles wouldn't be discovered in the dispenser.

Who knows? :)

At least she will be consulting with an attorney who can sort out the facts and determine better how to handle any legal action against the restaurant.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I agree she should talk with an attorney, but these are questions and mysteries that will be brought up. It simply seems ... peculiar. And, very much outside the realm of common experience for those of us who deal with addicts.

quincy

Apparently the addicts in West Virginia have been running amok of late, tossing their needles hither, thither and yon - with one of the thithers being a wipe dispenser at McDonald's. :)

CdwJava

Interesting that I only found one story repeated in numerous markets about a 5 year old finding one on the floor. That's a far cry from one in a dispenser and how it magically flew out to strike an infant near the eye.

There may be a logical explanation, but I'm not seeing one so far. At least not one that makes much sense.

quincy

Interesting that I only found one story repeated in numerous markets about a 5 year old finding one on the floor. That's a far cry from one in a dispenser and how it magically flew out to strike an infant near the eye.

There may be a logical explanation, but I'm not seeing one so far. At least not one that makes much sense.
Right. I mentioned that Charleston story earlier in this thread. There has been nothing reported out of Huntington.

CdwJava

I googled the keywords for the entire state and only found the one you did.

We find syringes everywhere in Sacramento. Drugs are all but legal here, and locating used syringes on floors, in bushes, on sidewalks, and in bathrooms is far from an uncommon occurrence. Though, I have yet to ever see one in a box of wipes, I suppose that is possible ... yet, how one would get stuck by a syringe while reaching in for a wipe seems awfully remote, as would it also somehow striking the infant.

Perhaps she can come back to explain exactly how she missed seeing the syringe that stuck her and how it managed to fly into the infant's eye?

quincy

She already explained how it happened. She reached into the dispenser, got stuck by a needle, pulled her hand out quickly, the needle flew - hitting her child.

I take it you only skimmed the thread, huh? :)

The dispensers I am familiar with are metal and opaque.

CdwJava

She already explained how it happened. She reached into the dispenser, got stuck by a needle, pulled her hand out quickly, the needle flew - hitting her child.

I take it you only skimmed the thread, huh? :)
No, I saw that ... having a hard time comprehending how the whole thing occurred. My cynical cop nature, I suppose ... asking, "Why?" and "How?" is a bad habit. Especially when it doesn't tend to jive with experience.

quincy

No, I saw that ... having a hard time comprehending how the whole thing occurred. My cynical cop nature, I suppose ... asking, "Why?" and "How?" is a bad habit. Especially when it doesn't tend to jive with experience.
It could also be because you are new to this thread. The rest of us already asked all of our why and how questions. :)

HRZ

It is not surprising that McDonald's is concerned. There should not be used syringes in their restrooms.

I agree with Zigner that you should speak to a personal injury lawyer in your area for a personal review of the facts. I recommend you speak to an attorney before discussing this any further with McDonald's.

The initial consultation with a personal injury attorney is often/generally free.

quincy

HRZ, are you adding something to this thread or just quoting my post?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">